Training Opportunities for New Employees
To further promote a solid foundation for the conduct of human subject research, additional educational and training opportunities are available through the Institutional Review Board (IRB) office.
1. New Employee Training
Additional practical application of Human Subject Protection (HSP), HIPAA Research, and Good Clinical Practice (GCP) will take place from 8 a.m. to noon the second Thursday first Tuesday of each month. This training is required for those seeking credentialing with Parkland Health & Hospital System and/or the research departments at William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital or Zale Lipshy University Hospital. The training builds upon the online courses and consists of the following:
- IRB 101 – IRB ethical principles, introduction to the IRB Office, forms, and processes.
- Study Management – Good clinical practice in the real world.
- Consent Ins & Outs – How to write and obtain consent.
This additional training will enable you to have a better understanding of the IRB process.
For questions regarding the new training program, please contact Victoria McNamara or Julia Spesivtseva in the IRB office at 214-648-3060 or by emailing the IRB. firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Individualized Training
IRB offers Individualized training and education on all aspects of human research protections and IRB processes is available at the request of departments or investigators. Please email the IRB office for more details. email@example.com
The Listserv provides subscribers with important IRB announcements, including changes in IRB forms and processes, and updates on regulatory issues. The Listserv is available to all faculty staff and students. Please use the following links to sign up:
- IRB-Researchers – Discussion of matters pertaining to the IRB at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
- Research-Administration – Important research systems announcements and funding opportunities distributed by Research Administration.
- eResearchSystems – eResearch Systems.
4. eResearch Systems Training (Velos, eIRB)
eResearch aims to provide excellent support for all investigators and research staff at UT Southwestern. The following systems are specific to a new IRB protocol submission.
Velos – Velos eResearch
Velos eResearch is a study-management tool used by 21 of the top 25 U.S. medical centers including UT Southwestern. It is designed to help investigators manage the setup and day-to-day activities of complex human research studies. Training for Velos can be completed online or can be requested from Academic Information Systems (AIS) trainers by emailing a request. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online Training: Study Creation, Patient Registration
- Training Tip Sheets: Study Creation, Patient Registration, Velos/Epic Integration, Performance Site Approval
eIRB is the IRB online submission system, which is closely integrated with Velos. The eIRB system is designed for online submission of human subject research protocols and related documents. Protocols submitted in eIRB are routed and reviewed electronically. Training for eIRB can be requested from Academic Information Systems (AIS) trainers by submitting a request to email@example.com.
For additional questions regarding eResearch, please contact Information Resources Service Desk:
6 a.m.–6 p.m., Monday–Friday
(Answered only during regular business hours)