Research Software Core Operations
Select a link below for more information:
- Software obtained through Academic Information Systems
- Software obtained through University Departments
- Work with faculty to determine the greatest needs for both widely used and highly specialized software in the sciences, and assist with acquisition and licensing to enable broad use and maximize the impact on research
- Provide ongoing consultation with faculty to identify desired capabilities for future research software and research services to identify the most applicable and cost effective software packages to meet these specifications
- Serve as a source of institutional memory for scientific software expertise, needs, and acquisition
- Avoid unnecessary/expensive replication and ensure optimal use of research software
MATLAB® is a high-level technical computing language and interactive environment for algorithm development, data visualization, data analysis, and numeric computation. Using the MATLAB product, you can solve technical computing problems faster than with traditional programming languages, such as C, C±±, and Fortran.
MATLAB: The Research Software Core's license is available for any UT Southwestern Medical Center-affiliated client at no charge on UT Southwestern Library computers numbered:
- E2Public22 and 24 in the South Campus Library.
- ND2Public1 and 2 in the North Campus Branch Library.
- There is a software logo label on the computer station designating MATLAB
To access the Research Software Core's license, a co-pay of $650 is required from principal investigators.
Computing fees allow access to the license at no charge for students and postdoctoral scholars registered in the graduate school.
For availability and pricing details, please email Thomas Spencer at email@example.com.
To download MATLAB, please visit the MATLAB instructions page (internal only).
Vector NTI Advance® offers unparalleled, multi-modular, integrated sequence analysis and data management tools. The software contains a comprehensive set of data analysis and management tools, implemented across five application modules.
A static license is available at $695. For availability and pricing details, please email Thomas Spencer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lasergene is a comprehensive DNA and protein sequence analysis software suite comprised of seven applications which include functions ranging from sequence assembly and SNP detection, to automated virtual cloning and primer design. Lasergene is available in three different configurations, each designed with different researchers in mind.
"Shared seat" available for $695 and a "reserved seat" for $2100. For availability and pricing details, please email Thomas Spencer at email@example.com
REDCap Survey is a powerful tool for building and managing online surveys. You can create and design surveys in your web browser, collect responses from survey participants, and export your survey results to Microsoft Excel or a variety of statistical analysis packages (SPSS, SAS, R, Stata).
For availability and product details, please email Thomas Spencer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adobe® Creative Suite® 6 Design Standard is tightly integrated professional software for delivering distinctive print design in marketing collateral, magazines, research, image processing, books, packaging, and more.
In the past, the University of Texas System has had an agreement with Adobe – referred to as a Contractual Licensing Program – which allowed certain purchasing benefits to UT Southwestern faculty, staff, and students. Adobe management is re-evaluating their services. Until we receive more details from Adobe, please do the following:
For copies of the UT System Academic License are available for University-owned computers at a significant discount. For availability and product details, please email Daniel Martin with the Purchasing Office at email@example.com.
For a copy to be installed on personal computer(s), the University Store (north and south campus) sells an academic license. This license allows installation on two computers with the following restrictions:
- Users may install the software on one academic computer, which is defined as a computer purchased with funds that originated within the school (university-owned) and one personal computer, which is defined as a computer purchased with your own private funds.
- Alternatively, the software may be installed on two personal computers.
- This license does not allow for two installations on academic computers.
For details on this license, please email Randy Blankenship with the University Store at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAS Analytics provides an integrated environment for predictive and descriptive modeling, data mining, text analytics, forecasting, optimization, simulation, experimental design and more. From dynamic visualization to predictive modeling, model deployment and process optimization, SAS provides a range of techniques and processes for the collection, classification, analysis and interpretation of data to reveal patterns, anomalies, key variables, and relationships, leading ultimately to new insights and better answers faster.
SAS is available at no charge on Library computers numbered:
- E2Public28, 29, 31, and 32 in the South Campus Library.
- ND2Public4, 5 and 6 in the North Campus Branch Library.
- There is a software logo label on the computer station designating SAS.
SPSS Statistics is a comprehensive, easy-to-use set of data and predictive analytics tools for business users, researchers, analysts, and statistical programmers.
SPSS is available at no charge on computer number E2Public28 in the South Campus Library; there is an SPSS logo on the computer.
An annual license is available to all UT System faculty, students, postdocs, staff, and departments for $100 from UT Austin. Support for the SPSS license can be obtained through the UT Austin ITS Help Desk (512-475-9400.) Information about purchasing SPSS