Health Watch — Weathering Winter: Preventing Poisoning

Health Watch is a Public Service of the Office of News and Publications  and is intended to provide general information only and should not replace the advice of a medical professional. You should contact your physician if you have questions about any of these topics.


This week on Health Watch, we’re talking about weathering the rest of winter. Previously, we talked about the dangers and symptoms of carbon-monoxide poisoning, but it’s better to prevent it.

Dr. Kurt Kleinschmidt, a toxicologist at UT Southwestern Medical Center, says many cases of carbon-monoxide poisoning result from using poorly installed gas appliances, running gasoline-powered engines in garages, using gas-burning stoves to heat homes, or cooking with charcoal inside homes. To prevent carbon-monoxide poisoning, make sure heaters and gas-powered appliances are correctly installed and are working properly. Don’t use gas stoves or ovens to heat the home, and don’t use charcoal grills or other camping gear indoors. Don’t leave vehicles running in a closed garage or in a garage attached to the house.

To learn more about carbon-monoxide poisoning, visit our Health Library at http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/patientcare/healthlibrary/healthtopics/0,,P00479,00.html.
 


###



February 2008

Health Watch is heard Monday through Friday nationwide on ABC Satellite Radio. Call your local radio station and ask if they carry the program.

Share: