Class Notes – January 2013
- Reubin Andres, M.D. ('44)
- Charles B. Dryden Jr., M.D. ('45)
- William M. Lewallen Jr., M.D. ('47)
- Charles H. Howard Jr., M.D. ('51)
- John H. Keller Jr., M.D. ('53)
- Lauro G. Guerra, M.D. ('54)
- Dorothy Whissell Buechy, M.D., Ph.D. ('56)
- George Ellison Hurt Jr., M.D. ('57)
- Joseph C. Randel, M.D. ('57)
- Jimmy L. Breazeale, M.D. ('58)
- Myron Gayle Glidewell, M.D. ('62)
- James Don Mayfield, M.D. (Internal Medicine)
- Thaddeus C. McCormick Jr., M.D.
- Valerie R. Warren Robinson, M.D. (Pediatrics/Psychology)
- John B. Stokes III, M.D. (Internal Medicine)
School of Health Professions
- Jessie Mae Hart ('79)
- Laura L. Guthrie ('94)
Class of 1986: Philip P. Huang, M.D., was awarded the 2012 Public Health Award from the American Academy of Family Physicians for dedication to improving public health by coordinating and implementing programs to reduce tobacco use and treat chronic disease. Dr. Huang is a family physician and Medical Director for the Austin/Travis County Health Department.
Class of 1989: Cheryl K. McDonald, M.D., is the new Chief of the Medical Staff at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth. Dr. McDonald, a member of the medical staff there since 1998, is the first woman to hold this position in the hospital's 82-year history.
Class of 1995: Kevin J. Land, M.D., Senior Medical Director at Blood Systems in Scottsdale, Ariz., has been named one of Modern Healthcare's Top 25 Clinical Informaticists. The annual award recognizes the accomplishments of medical professionals who use data to improve the clinical and financial performance of their organizations.
Class of 1997: Khang N. Tran, M.D., has been appointed Chief Medical Officer for The Medical Center of Plano. In addition to his duties as CMO, he continues to practice internal medicine.
Class of 1998: Peter M. Valenzuela, M.D., M.B.A., Medical Director for PeaceHealth Medical Group, has been named 2012 Physician Executive of the Year by Medical Group Management Association and its standard-setting division, the American College of Medical Practice Executives. The award recognizes outstanding leadership and medical group practice performance.
Class of 2000: Ravi S. Aysola, M.D., was featured in the PBS documentary “Money and Medicine,” which aired Sept. 25 and examined cost issues in America's health care system. Dr. Aysola is Assistant Professor of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at UCLA.
Class of 2006: Louise P. King, M.D., has joined Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston as an attending physician in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Class of 2010: Shelley Odronic Redfern, M.D., was awarded the CAP Foundation Leadership Development Award by the College of American Pathologists Foundation. Dr. Redfern was recognized for her dedication and extensive involvement with leadership, teaching, and mentoring experiences to advance the specialty of pathology in an effort to ensure optimal patient care. Dr. Redfern is one of the chief residents in the anatomic and clinical residency program at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.
UT Southwestern Medical School reunions in 2013:
- April 5 – Reunion for the Platinum Classes (1944-1962)
- May 2 – 50th reunion dinner for the Class of 1963
- May 3-4 – Medical School Alumni Reunion for the Classes of 2008, 2003, 1993, 1988, 1983, 1978, 1973, 1968, and 1963
Please send your Class Notes contributions or address changes to the Office of Alumni Affairs, UT Southwestern, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75390-9024, or call them in at 214-648-4539.