Psychiatry Education & Training
Education at the Cutting Edge: Evidence-Based Psychiatry
Our internationally recognized researchers provide our medical and graduate students and residents with the latest, most advanced, evidence-based clinical tools to prepare them to administer treatments yet to come.
The Department of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center:
- Sponsors education programs geared toward psychiatry residents and fellows, medical students, clinical psychology and basic biomedical science graduate students, and postdoctoral research fellows.
- Is one of only 20 programs providing training in addiction psychiatry, geriatric psychiatry, and psychosomatic medicine, providing the greatest opportunity for specialization.
- Supports a separate Psychiatric Emergency Room Service, which provides our residents with an intensive exposure to mental health crises.
- Has a special Research Track for psychiatry residency training supported by institutional training grants from the NIH.
- Gives medical students, residents, and fellows the opportunity to participate in patient care in an array of settings that reflects all the economic, racial, and ethnic diversity of Dallas, as well as the full range of psychiatric diagnoses.
As the only academic psychiatry program in Dallas, our students can choose from a wealth of clinical settings for training, including programs at Parkland Memorial Hospital, UT Southwestern University Hospitals, the Dallas Veterans Administration Medical Center, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, the UT Dallas Student Mental Health Center, Metrocare Services at The Bridge, a multipurpose facility dedicated to serving homeless individuals, and many other facilities.