Rotations for Visiting Students
Thank you for your interest in a fourth-year pediatric elective experience at UT Southwestern Medical Center/Children’s Medical Center. We hope this provides a good overview of the types of electives offered, requirements for individual students, the application process and timeline, as well as other helpful information for visiting students.
Fourth-year Pediatric Electives
- Block dates for 2013-2014 academic year
- Course descriptions and availability
PED 1205, 1214, 1221, 1230, and 1231 are not offered to visiting students.
Application Process and Requirements
- Students from U.S. medical schools (including non-LCME accredited schools)
- International students from foreign medical schools
The Office of Graduate Medical Education at Children’s Medical Center has established a housing scholarship to support fourth-year medical students from other institutions interested in exploring a clinical experience at UT Southwestern/Children’s Medical Center.
These scholarships provide for housing during your four-week rotation and are awarded based upon each student’s academic performance, involvement in extracurricular, service, leadership activities, and stated interest in pursuing pediatric residency training.
If you are interested in applying for this scholarship, please indicate your interest on the visiting student questionnaire required in the application process. For questions, email Jennifer Rogers.
|Application Timeline: 2013-2014 Academic Year|
|April 1, 2013||Elective registration for UT Southwestern students
VSAS open for visiting students to begin application process
|May 1, 2013||Review of VSAS applications begins|
|June 1, 2013||Review of international student applications begins|
|June 2013 – March 2014||Once application is complete and reviewed:
- Housing scholarship recipients notified of awards
- Applicants notified on a rolling basis of elective availability and to confirm elective choices
- Once matched to an elective, applicants will receive email asking them to accept the elective slot in VSAS. Slots can only be held for three (3) days, so please accept promptly or contact us if other options need to be discussed.
- Receive welcome/orientation email with instructions for first day of rotation.
Though applications will continue to be reviewed throughout the academic year, visiting students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible after April 1, as elective slots for the academic year will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.