Rotations for Visiting Students
Thank you for your interest in a fourth-year pediatric elective experience at UT Southwestern Medical Center/Children’s Health. Below is an overview of the types of electives we currently offer and the processes to be followed by individual medical students to aid in your decision.
Pediatric Elective Course Offerings
Course Listings (Note: Inpatient rotations are highly competitive and 1900 courses are UTSW student required courses, so tend to fill enrollment quickly. Therefore, choosing alternative courses is highly suggested.)
- PED 1901 – Emergency Medicine
- PED 1902 – Neonatal ICU
- PED 1903 – Pediatric Acute ICU
- PED 1904 – Sub -I
- PED 1905 – Cardiac Critical Care ICU
- PED 2102 – Hematology & Oncology
- PED 2103 – Cardiology
- PED 2104 – Nephrology
- PED 2105 – Endocrinology
- PED 2106 – Gastroenterology
- PED 2107 – Rheumatology
- PED 2112 – Allergy and Immunology
- PED 2114 – Genetics & Metabolism
- PED 2118 – At-Risk Children
- PED 2120 – Infectious Diseases
Access course descriptions
Access block schedule
All domestic medical students will use the VSLO website to upload all required documents. List of required documents are below:
All international medical students will use the submit their visiting student application via emailing all required documents. The list of required documents is below:
Email your application packet to Anthony.Lee@utsouthwestern.edu - Attn: Int'l Applicant.
Application Timeline of Events
|March 1, 2018||Ongoing||International medical students can start submission of application for elective rotation.|
|April 1, 2018||Ongoing||Elective registration for UTSW medical students opens and VSLO opens for domestic visiting students.|
|April 15, 2018||˜2 weeks||Administrative review begins for submitted VSLO and International medical student applicants.|
|May 1, 2018||˜2 weeks||Program director begins reviewing of VSLO domestic medical student applicants.|
|May 15, 2018||˜2 weeks||Program director begins reviewing of international medical student applicants.|
|June 1, 2018 -
May 1, 2019
Once all submitted complete applications are reviewed, the below processes start:
Applicants will be notified via email to confirm elective selection.
Receive welcome/orientation email with instructions for first day of rotation.
|February 2019||2 weeks||Application information for 2019-2020 academic year will be posted and updated on website.|
|March 23, 2019||N/A||Application submission closes.|
- Dates for blocks are inflexible. Make sure the dates of your rotation align with UTSW’s block schedule.
- All requirements for international applications are needed. No requirements are waived.
- Any application not meeting or missing any requirements will automatically be deemed incomplete and will not be reviewed.
- VSLO applications will immediately be denied on VSLO site.
- International applicants will be notified via email.