Health Watch — Weathering Winter: Heating
Health Watch is a Public Service of the Office of News and Publications and is intended to provide general information only and should not replace the advice of a medical professional. You should contact your physician if you have questions about any of these topics.
We’re still in the midst of winter, with more than a month to go until spring begins. To help you get through the cold days, this week on Health Watch we’ll offer tips for weathering winter.
On really cold days, staying warm becomes a priority, and with high heating costs, it may be tempting to find alternative sources of heat. But Dr. Paul Pepe, chairman of emergency medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, cautions against using ovens or stove tops to heat the house. These appliances aren’t meant to be used that way, and using them for home heating could lead to burns, carbon monoxide poisoning or fires. If you use space heaters, keep them away from upholstery or drapes, and supervise children and pets while you’re using them. Space heaters can cause fires if they’re tipped over and come in contact with flammable materials.
Visit http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/patientcare/medicalservices/hospitals/stpaul.html to learn more about UT Southwestern’s emergency services.
Health Watch is heard Monday through Friday nationwide on ABC Satellite Radio. Call your local radio station and ask if they carry the program.