Health Watch -- Safe and Warm: Carbon Monoxide Dangers

Health Watch is a Public Service of the Office of News and Publications and is intended to provide general information only and should not replace the advice of a medical professional. You should contact your physician if you have questions about any of these topics.


This week on Health Watch, we’re talking about how you can stay both safe and warm this winter. One threat that can come from keeping your home warm is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide forms when fuel isn’t burned efficiently, and it can be deadly.

Dr. Paul Pepe, chairman of emergency medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, says if you’re using a fireplace, you should make sure the chimney and flue are clear of leaves and branches, and there should be adequate ventilation when you’re using the fireplace. Have your heater or furnace inspected regularly. If everyone in your home gets a headache at the same time, you should check the fireplace or other heating sources. Having a carbon monoxide detector can help protect you and your family against carbon monoxide poisoning.

###

January 2006

Health Watch is heard Monday through Friday nationwide on ABC Satellite Radio. Call your local radio station and ask if they carry the program.

Share: