- To provide excellence in care for abdominal transplant and transplant-related general surgery patients
- To train students, residents, and fellows
- To conduct state-of-the-art research in transplant immunology, organ preservation, and immunosuppression to improve the quality of care and life for our patients
Our ongoing goal is to continue developing into a multi-organ transplant program. We plan to expand our transplant service to other university-affiliated hospitals and give patients additional options for care.
Our faculty performs transplant-related surgical services and vascular access services at Parkland Health & Hospital System, the Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Zale Lipshy University Hospital, and Children's Medical Center.
The Division of Surgical Transplantation is an exciting and growing division with leading surgeons, clinicians, and professionals working together to improve patient care. The Division provides consultative and follow-up care for patients with all types of kidney disease. In addition, our faculty participates in a full range of academic activities as we strive to be one of the leading institutions for training future transplant surgeons.
- Received the prestigious Medal of Honor for Organ Donation from the Department of Health and Human Services for achieving and sustaining a donation rate of 75 percent or more among eligible donors
- Recognized by the Southwest Transplant Alliance for surpassing the goal of 75 percent of potential donors becoming actual donors
- Performed the first donor-after-cardiac-death liver transplant in D/FW
- Performed the first transplant live on Twitter
- Our Division Chair was named one of America’s Top Surgeons by the Consumer Research Council of America and one of D Magazine’s “Best Doctors in Dallas” in 2008, 2009, and 2010
- Our Division Chair is a member of the Southwest Transplant Alliance Board and the Secretary/Treasurer of the Texas Transplant Society
- Our program received CMS certification in January 2010 which allows us to accept Medicare/Medicaid patients into our liver transplant program
- Performed the first robotically assisted kidney removal from a living donor in North Texas
- Participated in the medical center performing a record four transplant surgeries in one day (a heart transplant, a single lung transplant, double lung/kidney transplant and liver/kidney transplant)
- Co-hosted the 1st Annual UT Southwestern Kidney Transplant & Dialysis Update in September 2012
- Our Division Chair being named one of America's Top Surgeons by the Consumer Research Council of America and one of D Magazine's "Best Doctors in Dallas" for five years in a row: 2008-2012