Why UT Southwestern
Accredited by the Texas Medical Board (TMB), our one-year Breast Imaging Fellowship focuses on the diagnostic radiology subspecialty of breast imaging. The program includes clinical rotations at the UT Southwestern Center for Breast Care and the Parkland Comprehensive Breast Center – full-service breast centers with state-of-the-art equipment, including digital mammography, tomosynthesis, sonography, positron emission mammography, and onsite magnetic resonance imaging.
- Assistant Professor
- Associate Professor
- Breast Imaging Division Chief
- Clinical Professor
- Breast Imaging Fellowship Director
- Assistant Professor
- Assistant Professor
- A combination of intense clinical training, significant research opportunities with internationally known scholars available as mentors, and four weeks of elective experience with medical oncology, surgical oncology, and breast pathology
- Fellows progressively learn to manage a full-service breast-imaging center
- Fellowship training is provided by 10 dedicated Breast Imaging faculty
- Fellows are trained in an array of diagnostic imaging modalities, including digital mammography, sonography, magnetic resonance imaging, positron emission mammography, and tomosynthesis combined with standard and cutting-edge interventional procedures, such as seed/radiofrequency localizations and tomosynthesis-guided procedures
Beyond the clinical experience
Fellows assist in resident and medical student education, consulting with referring clinicians, and participate in a monthly journal club to review current literature in the major diagnostic radiology journals.
- Pay is commensurate with PGY level
- Fellows have three vacation weeks and one meeting week
There are minimal call duties as part of this Fellowship program.
Facilities and Equipment
The UT Southwestern Center for Breast Care and the Parkland Comprehensive Breast Center are full-service breast imaging centers with:
- One dedicated breast coil MRI with biopsy capability
- Three Philips iu22 ultrasound units with elastography software
- One Hologic prone stereotactic biopsy table
- Two vacuum-assisted and automated biopsy devices
- Four Hologic Dimensions mammography units (two with tomosynthesis software)
- Two Hologic Selenia mammography units
- Hologic SecurView reading stations
Additional research equipment includes:
- One 3T and one 7T magnet
- Fellows are actively involved in a weekly Multidisciplinary Breast Conference
- A monthly Journal Club provides fellows the opportunity to discuss current topics in breast imaging with distinguished faculty members
- A biweekly Biopsy Review Conference allows in-depth review of all biopsy cases at both breast imaging facilities
- A month Radiology-Pathology Correlation Conference provides in-depth review of interesting cases with the pathologist
- Fellows are invited to attend and present at the Resident Core Lecture Series and are given priority time to do so
- Radiology Grand Rounds are held monthly with prestigious visiting and local professors, offering the opportunity to meet and learn from leading national authorities on a wide variety of topics
Intellectual vibrancy and technological innovation are core values of the Department. Breast Imaging Fellows receive 12 weeks of dedicated time to participate in a significant research project with the expectation of publication in a major peer-reviewed professional journal. A dedicated research director leads the mentorship of fellows.
The program provides three one-year fellowship positions annually. Information regarding the application process can be found here. Below are requirements specific to the Breast Imaging fellowship.
We participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP), which is sponsored by the Society of Breast Imaging. Programs participating in the Match cannot extend any offers to candidates outside of the Match. Applicants can withdraw from the Match prior to the ranking deadline if they accept a position outside of the Match.
For additional information regarding the SBI Fellowship Match Program, please visit the program website.
International Medical Graduates
For questions regarding International Medical Graduates, please visit our fellowships page.