General Psychiatry Residency Program
The UT Southwestern Department of Psychiatry strives to graduate our residents at the cutting edge of all aspects of psychiatry, training outstanding evidence-oriented clinicians and providing excellent clinical care to patients.
Our residency program offers an innovative and exciting didactic and clinical/experiential base for training. Faculty and residents work together, balancing clinical service and education. We have a patient base that is diverse in every way: ethnoculturally, socioeconomically, and by clinical service (private, public sector, community, etc.). This variety ensures that our residents will be able to practice psychiatry anywhere with anyone.
UT Southwestern's residents encounter a wide variety of patient populations and systems of psychiatric care. Our affiliate institutions include:
- Parkland Health and Hospital System, one of the nation's premier public county hospitals.
- Zale Lipshy University Hospital, one of two UT Southwestern hospitals.
- Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center, one of the VA's academic flagship centers.
- Children's Medical Center, a private tertiary care pediatric hospital.
- Student mental health at University of Texas Arlington and University of North Texas
- Metrocare Services, an innovative public-private community psychiatry system.
The program involves every resident in each setting in a coherent plan that balances patient care and education. Diversity of settings allows the resident to care for the widest possible range of patients by diagnosis, by ethnic background, by socioeconomic status, and by location.
We also constantly look for ways to support our residents in the belief that patient care is best provided by psychiatrists who have balanced and satisfying lives. The residency offers a process group called T-Group, an important source of peer support led by experienced group therapists.
Psychiatry Residents Organization (PRO)
UT Southwestern's residents are active in campus life and in the community. The Psychiatry Residents Organization (PRO) sponsors programs that enhance residents' experience at UT Southwestern, including professional and academic support, social activities, and discussions. The PRO also facilitates effective communication between residents and administrators.