Orthopaedic Surgery Rotation for Medical Students
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery provides medical students with the opportunity to learn about diagnosis and management of musculoskeletal problems and injuries. Students will spend one month working closely with faculty and residents on the orthopaedic service. All students will also attend the weekly educational lectures and conferences.
Prerequisite: Completion of third-year General Surgery Clerkship
Faculty: Kevin Gill, M.D., Director of Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program
The educational goals for the Orthopaedic Surgery Rotation include:
- To develop the ability to take an orthopaedic history
- To gain proficiency in examination of extremities and spine
- To understand the appropriate use of orthopaedic terminology
- To learn to describe X-ray findings accurately
- To gain a basic understanding of the principles of musculoskeletal care
- To gain a basic understanding of skeletal development
- To have an introduction to reconstructive joint surgery
- To gain the ability to recognize signs and symptoms of pulmonary embolus, fat embolus syndrome, compartment syndrome, infection
- To learn to perform minor procedures correctly (e.g. cast application, arthrocentesis, insertion of traction pins)
All requests for rotation must be submitted to the Education Coordinator no later than the listed deadline for each rotation. Rotations will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Students will be notified of the details of their rotation within two weeks of the deadline date.
Any questions should be directed to Menyon Menefee, Education Coordinator, by emailing email@example.com.
Students will be assigned to rotate on one or two of the seven orthopaedic services in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center:
- Sports Medicine
- Adult Reconstruction
- Hand Surgery
- Orthopaedic Trauma
- Foot and Ankle
The rotation dates for 2012 are listed below:
|Block||2012 Rotation Dates||Deadline for Application|
|1||Monday, July 2, 2012 – Friday July 27, 2012||April 30, 2012|
|2||Monday, July 30, 2012 – Friday August 24, 2012||May 31, 2012|
|3||Monday, August 27, 2012 – Friday September 21, 2012||June 30, 2012|
|4||Monday, September 24, 2012 – Friday, October 19, 2012||July 31, 2012|
All requests for rotations must be requested through VSAS (Visiting Student Application Service). After reviewing each application you will be notified by the Orthopaedic Surgery Education Coordinator Menyon Menefee via email.
The following information will be requested of all applicants:
Requested rotation block. Please include your first, second, and third choice
USMLE Step 1 Score
Third year medical school grades for Core Rotations (Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Ob/Gyn, Family Medicine, Neurology)
In addition, all students interested in this rotation must complete and submit an application through the Office of Student Affairs.