|Medical Students||Graduate Students||Postdoctoral Scholars||Residents||Fellows|
The Department of Ophthalmology offers the following for-credit electives for fourth-year medical students:
- Clinical Ophthalmology – Course objectives include gaining knowledge and developing skill in the use of ophthalmic equipment; becoming proficient with the diagnosis and treatment of common ophthalmologic problems and management of eye diseases; and becoming familiar with which eye disorders can be treated in a primary care setting, and which problems require referral to an ophthalmologist. Faculty Coordinator: Jess T. Whitson, M.D.
- Introduction to Surgical-Subspecialties – Surgical subspecialties include cardiothoracic surgery, neurological surgery, orthopaedics, ophthalmology, otolaryngology, plastic surgery, and urology. Faculty Coordinator: Sergio Huerta, M.D.
- Summer Research Projects – Medical students interested in an Ophthalmology summer research project placement should visit UT Southwestern Medical School's centralized Medical Student Research Office. More information about Ophthalmology research projects is available on research faculty members' laboratory websites.
Department of Ophthalmology basic scientists contribute to the following Graduate Programs:
- Biological Chemistry (Igor Butovich, Ph.D.)
- Biological Chemistry (John D. Hulleman, Ph.D.)
- Biomedical Engineering (W. Matthew Petroll, Ph.D.)
- Cancer Biology (Jerry Y. Niederkorn, Ph.D.)
- Immunology (Jerry Y. Niederkorn, Ph.D.)
Department of Ophthalmology postdoctoral training opportunities are listed on the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences' section of the website.
The Ophthalmology Residency Program is one of the best and is the largest in the U.S. Every year, 27 residents gain outstanding and rigorous clinical experience as a result of high surgery volume and clinical pathology. We accept nine residents each year; an internship is required prior to residency.
The Department of Ophthalmology’s fellowship programs are among the best in the country and include: