Residency: How to Apply
Each new group of residents begins the academic year July 1. Only applications received through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) will be considered. We participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) for all of our training positions.
Our program was reaccredited in 2007 by the ACGME.
We have the following requirements for applicants to our residency. For further details, please refer to our Graduate Medical Education Office. Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to accredited residency programs at UT Southwestern Medical Center:
- Graduates of medical schools in the United States and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and have an ECFMG-sponsored J-1 visa or INS issued employment authorization.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
We select from among eligible applicants on the basis of their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity.
We do not discriminate with regard to sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
To be invited for an interview, your application must be complete. Your application is complete when we have received the following information from ERAS:
- Completed application
- Medical school Dean's Letter
- Medical school transcript
- USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores (Step 2 only if available)
- Two letters of recommendation (from faculty of your choice; a letter from the chairman is not required)
Your application must be completed by the deadline to be considered for an interview. Once your completed application is received, it will be reviewed by members of the Advisory Group for Resident Education (AGRE) Committee. Interviews are granted by AGRE Committee invitation only. You will be notified by email if you have been invited to interview.
Interviews for 20 applicants are held on Saturdays so we may have an opportunity to get to know you better. Two faculty members and one resident will interview each applicant. Additional residents will be available to answer any questions you may have.
You will need to make arrangements with the residency office for your interview. An interview is required for full consideration of your application.