The Department of Family and Community Medicine endorses the important role of research and scholarly activities in Graduate Medical Education and continuously seeks to promote an active culture of inquiry for faculty, residents, and medical students. While complete accounts of faculty research can be located on their individual profile pages, a brief glimpse at our recent activities can be found below.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Articles
- Schneider FD, Loveland Cook CA, Salas J, Scherrer J, Cleveland IN, Burge SK. Childhood Trauma, Social Networks, and the Mental Health of Adult Survivors. J of Interpersonal Violence, first published online, March 20, 2017: DOI: 10.1177/0886260517696855, pages 1-23.
- Gimpel, N, Pagels, P, Kindratt T. Community Action Research Experience (CARE): Training Family Physicians in Community Based Participatory Research Education for Primary Care 2017 Feb 28:1-6.
- Scherrer J, Salas J, Copeland L, Stock E, Schneider FD, Sullivan M, Bucholz K, Burroughts T, Lustman P. Increased Risk of Depression Recurrence After Initiation of Prescription Opioids in Non-Cancer Pain Patients, Journal of Pain, 2016 Apr; 17(4):473-482.
- deGruy FV, Ewigman B, DeVoe JE, Hughes L, James P, Schneider FD, Hickner J, Stange K, Van Fossen T, Kuzel AJ, Mullen R, Peek CJ. A Plan for Useful and Timely Family Medicine and Primary Care Research. Family Medicine, 2015 Sep; 47(8):636-642.
- Pagels P, Kindratt T, Arnold D, Brandt J, Woodfin G, Gimpel N. Training Family Medicine Residents in Effective Communication Skills While Utilizing Promotoras as Standardized Patients in OSCEs: A Health Literacy Curriculum. Int J Family Med. 2015; 2015: 129187. Published online 2015 Sep 29. DOI:10.1155/2015/129187.
- Squiers JJ, Purmal C, Silver M, Gimpel N. Community Health Fair with Follow-up. Med Educ. 2015 May; 49(5): 526-7.
- Kindratt T, Raza A, Anderson J, Evans DJ, Gimpel N. Don't Be Scared: Demystifying Statistics in Postgraduate Medical Education. Educ Prim Care. 2015 Jan; 26(1): 53-54.
- Poole A, Hargrove EC, Day P, and Berkowitz A. A Call for Ethics Literacy in Environmental Education in Linking Ecology and Ethics for a Changing World: Values, Philosophy, and Action, (eds.) Rozzi, Ricardo, and Steward T.A. Pickett, Juan J. Armesto, Clare Palmer, and J. Baird Callicott, The Hague: Springer Press, 2014.
- Shakil A, Bardwell J, Sherin K, et al. (2014) Development of Verbal HITS for Intimate Partner Violence Screening in Family Medicine. Journal of Family Medicine. 46 (3): 180-185.
- Pagels P, Kindratt TB, Reyna G, Lam K, Silver M, Gimpel NE. Establishing the Need for Family Medicine Training in Intimate Partner Violence Screening. J Community Health. 2014 Oct 29.
- Gutierrez N, Kindratt T, Pagels P, Foster B, Gimpel NE. Health literacy, health information seeking behaviors and internet use among patients attending a private and public clinic in the same geographic area. J Community Health. 2014 Feb; 39 (1): 83-89.
- Jolly L, Pagels P, Woodfin G, Silver M, Billmeier T, Gimpel N. Knowledge and Attitudes towards Breastfeeding in the African American Male Population Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing Vol 42, Issue 6 664-671 Nov-Dec 2013.
- Pagels P, Kindratt T, Arnold D, Brandt J, Woodfin G, Gimpel N. Health Literacy objective structured clinical exam for family medicine residents Med Teach. 2013 Oct; 35(10): 874-5.
- Gimpel N, Pagels P, Roy V, Tullius Zoe, Billmeier T. Family Medicine Resident Education: An Innovative Model of Community Medicine Training. Journal of Community Medicine & Health Education Vol 3 issue 1 2013.
Selected Presentations and Invited Lectures
- Schneider FD, Tapp H, Post RE, King DE. Creating a Culture of Inquiry in Academic Family Medicine. A Panel Discussion at the 2017 Annual Spring Conference of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. San Diego, May 8, 2017
- Schneider, FD. The ACE Study. 2017 Academy on Violence and Abuse Regional Summit. St. Louis, MO. March 9, 2017
- Smith CW, Schneider FD. Integrated Care for Integrated Training: Creating a Culture of Collaboration. A poster at the 2016 Annual Conference on Practice Improvement, Anaheim, CA. December 2016
- McGregor T. Ethical Issues at End of Life. Invited Lecture, UT-Tyler, Tyler, TX. 2014.
- Gimpel N. Community-based Participatory Research: Training for Medical Students and Family Medicine Residents. Research Meeting. Buenos Aires, Argentina. 2013.
- McGregor T. Palliative Care in Advanced Cardiac Therapies. Palliative Medicine Meeting, American Academy of Hospice, New Orleans, LA. 2013.
- Sepdham D. Advances in Medical Student Education. Invited Lecture, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand. 2013.
- Shakil A. Leading and Developing Your Residency through Organizational Change. Program Director’s Workshop, American Association of Family Practice, 44th Annual Meeting, Kansas City, MO. 2012.
Textbooks and Manuals
- Gimpel N, Mokuria S. (2013). Community Action Research in Family Medicine Residencies: A Community Medicine Handbook. University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Press: Dallas, TX.
- Budhwar N, and McGregor T. (2015). Ambulatory Care Education (ACE) in Geriatrics: Pocket Reference Guide and Logbook. 5th Edition. University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Press: Dallas, TX.
Selected Faculty Awards
- Sepdham D. Exemplary Teaching Award. Texas Academy of Family Physicians. 2104.
- McGregor T. Hospice and Palliative Medicine Support. Children’s Medical Center Dallas. 2013.
- Shakil A. Community Services Recognition Award. Islamic Medical Association of North America. 2011.