The basic and translational research interests of Dr. Cheng include mechanistic investigations into peripheral nerve regeneration, neural interfacing for control of robotic limbs, and bioelectronic medicines for modulation of systemic disease. Our lab performs a comprehensive suite of outcome measures to assess peripheral nerve recovery and chronic neural interfacing in the research setting.
Current studies include:
- Long gap peripheral nerve regeneration – Translational therapies for peripheral nerve regeneration across a long nerve gap, rapid screening of novel small molecule drugs
- Fascicular targeting of peripheral nerve interfaces -
- Development of precise surgical techniques for placement of chronic peripheral nerve implants
- Design of implantable systems for chronic neural recording and stimulation
- Human trials to investigate basic physiology of fascicular targeting
- Bioelectronic medicines – Biologically active neural implants for chronic interfacing of autonomic nerves