When Donald Seldin, M.D., became Chair of Internal Medicine at UTSW in 1952, he was literally a department of one. Things changed a bit over the next several decades.
Dr. Seldin arrived in Dallas from Yale University to take a position at a small medical school, sight unseen. The condition of the school surprised him, but it would not be the last surprise. Soon, he would be named Chair of the Department of Medicine, a position he would hold for nearly 40 years.