Pilot and Feasibility Grant Program
The UT Southwestern O’Brien Kidney Research Core Center announces the availability of the Pilot and Feasibility Grant (P&F) to support studies on the kidney and renal disease. The P&F grant provides 1-2 awards up to $35,000 support for one year, depending on availability of funds. No more than 10 percent of the grant may be used to support the principal investigator’s salary and fringe benefits. The grant is designed to support the generation of preliminary data that will lead to subsequent NIH funding. Projects must be in one of the following areas:
- Kidney Development and Genetics,
- Renal Physiology and Pathophysiology, and
- Chronic Kidney Disease.
Projects that are focused on the pathogenesis or treatment of kidney cancers are not eligible for funding.
The following scientists are eligible for pilot and feasibility funding:
- New investigators without current or past extramural research support equivalent to an NIH R01, VA Merit Award, or P01 as a principal investigator (current or past support from other sources should have been modest).
- Established non-nephrology investigators who wish to apply their expertise to a problem in this area.
- Established investigators who propose testing innovative ideas that represent a clear departure from ongoing research interests.
- All eligible investigators must have faculty appointments and must be independent investigators. Postdoctoral fellows or their equivalents are not eligible.
- Previous awardees may submit a competitive renewal application for a second year of funding.
Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are unable to provide this grant opportunity for the 2022. We will re-evaluate and provide information about the 2023 grant award.