Mission of the Physiology Core
- To assist investigators with a wide range of physiological techniques to study kidney physiology and diseases at the cellular, organ and whole animal levels
- To provide services at cost for certain assays; to provide equipment, advice, and training to assist performing other assays for no charge
- Will arrange collaborations on certain techniques that require extensive effort and advanced training
Physiology Core Services
Kidney and Cardiovascular Phenotyping
Technical services and consultation are provided to characterize renal and cardiovascular phenotypes in mice. These services include:
- Measurement of serum and urine creatinine, by capillary electrophoresis (fee for service)
- Measurement of serum and urine chemistry and blood gas (fee for service)
- Microanalysis of serum and urine electrolytes, by flame photometry, atomic absorption, and ion-selective electrode.
- Flame photometry is at no cost, other methods are provided by a collaboration with Dr. Baum
- Blood pressure measurement in mice and rats, by tail-cuff method and radiotelemetry.
- Equipment and training for tail-cuff method is provided and free of charge.
- Telemetry service is provided via collaboration with Dr. Baum
- Clearance Studies: The core provides metabolic cages, 17 Hatteras cages and 12 Tecniplast cages.
- Equipment and training for clearance studies is provided and free of charge
The Physiology Core can dissect nephron segments, e.g. proximal convoluted, proximal straight, thick ascending limb, distal convoluted tubules and collecting tubules. Technical services and consultation are provided to better characterize specific nephron segments regarding gene and protein expression, and flow characteristics. These services are provided on a collaborative basis by Dr. Baum to be determined case by case.
- Isolation and dissection of individual renal tubules for real-time PCR
- Isolation and dissection of individual renal tubules for western blot and immunohistochemistry
- Isolation and dissection for in vitro microperfusion
The Physiology Core provides electrophysiology studies in cells over-expressing specific ion channels. Technical services and consultation are provided to better characterize modification of ion channel characteristics. These services are provided on a collaborative basis by Dr. Wolf to be determined case by case:
- Whole-cell patch-clamp recording
- Single channel patch-clamp recording
The Physiology Core provides a range of assays measuring different renal and urinary molecules or proteins. Technical services are provided to better risk for kidney stones or acute kidney injury. These services include:
- Measurement of serum and urine citrate by capillary electrophoresis (fee for service)
- Klotho quantification by immunoprecipitation-immunoblot (fee for service)