School of Health Professions recognizes top achievers
By Lin Lofley
UT Southwestern School of Health Professions faculty, staff, and students were honored recently at the school’s second annual awards ceremony to honor outstanding achievement.
In all, 13 faculty members were cited for excellence.
Outstanding Faculty Awards – Kathleen Davis, Assistant Professor of Clinical Nutrition; Corry Defrates, Instructor of Health Care Sciences (Radiation Therapy); Robert Drake, Assistant Professor of Rehabilitation Counseling; Miguel Mojica, Assistant Professor of Health Care Sciences (Prosthetics and Orthotics); Jeffrey Williams, Assistant Professor of Physician Assistant Studies; Dr. Jason Zafereo, Assistant Professor of Physical Therapy; Robert Drake, Assistant Professor of Rehabilitation Counseling;.
Outstanding Educator Awards – Gary Bedard, Volunteer Lecturer, Prosthetics and Orthotics; Tad Campbell, Education Coordinator in Clinical Nutrition; Joseph Capasso, Volunteer Faculty Clinical Assistant Professor, Physician Assistant Studies; Dr. Scott Smith, Professor of Health Care Sciences; Dr. Strahinja Stojadinovic, Assistant Professor of Radiation Therapy; Dr. Emily Touchstone, Clinical Instructor of Rehabilitation Counseling; Homer Walag, Assistant Manager in Physical Therapy.
Top student recognitions were awarded to:
- Matthew Chansard, Rehabilitation Counseling, 2015 Outstanding Thesis Award;
- Melanie Jewell, Clinical Nutrition, Outstanding Student Award;
- Andrew Nash, Prosthetics and Orthotics, Frank Gottschalk Award for Professional Excellence;
- Michael Winters, Prosthetics and Orthotics, Mel Still Service Award; and
- Margaret Bates, Physical Therapy, Kathlynn DeeAnn Sloan Scholarship for Academic Excellence and Social Responsibility.
Schoolwide student awards were presented to:
- Lilian Nwora, Clinical Nutrition, John Schermerhorn, M.D. Student Service Award;
- Daniel Concannon, Prosthetics and Orthotics, L. Ruth Guy, M.D. Student Leadership Award;
- Sarita Patel, Rehabilitation Counseling, Raul Caetano, M.D. Student Research Award; and
- Keylyn Gerth, Physician Assistant Studies, Gordon Green, M.D. Student Clinician Award.