- Drs. Xun Jia, Dan Nguyen, and Steve Jiang received a $2.9m NIH Academic-Industrial Partnerships R01 grant to develop human-like AI agents for better and faster radiotherapy treatment planning. Congratulations!
- Dr. Xun Jia is a co-author on one of PMB's top 10 most cited papers of 2020 published in 2018-2019, 3D radiotherapy dose prediction on head and neck cancer patients with a hierarchically densely connected U-net deep learning architecture.
- Dr. Chenyang Shen's paper, An introduction to deep learning in medical physics: advantages, potential, and challenges, is among PMB's top 10 most cited papers of 2020 published in 2020.
- Welcome to our two newest group members, Drs. Shu Zhang and Xiaoyu Hu!
- Dr. Chenyang Shen recently published a Special Issue Article in PMB, A hierarchical deep reinforcement learning framework for intelligent automatic treatment planning of prostate cancer intensity modulated radiation therapy.
- Congratulations to Yesenia Gonzalez on her graduation from the PhD program!
- Dr. Xun Jia was named a Distinguished Associate Editor for Medical Physics for 2021. Dr. Chenyang Shen was also named a Distinguished Referee for Medical Physics for 2021. Congrats to both of them for receiving this distinction!
- Congratulations to Chao Wang for his recent publication in PMB, Simultaneous needle catheter selection and dwell time optimization for preplanning of high-dose-rate brachytherapy of prostate cancer. You can read the paper here.
- Welcome to our newest postdoctoral researcher, Dr. Yuting Peng!
- Welcome to our newest Ph.D. graduate student Yin Gao!
- Dr. Xun Jia was featured in this month's CenterTimes over his CPRIT grant which will be used to develop a new MRI scanner for radiotherapy. Congrats! You can read the article here.
- Youfang Lai recently had a paper accepted in PMB, Modeling the Effect of Oxygen on the Chemical Stage of Water Radiolysis using GPU-based Microscopic Monte Carlo Simulations, with an Application in FLASH Radiotherapy. Congrats!
- Congratulations to Chenyang Shen for his publication in PMB, On the robustness of deep learning based lung nodule classification for CT images with respect to image noise! You can read the paper here.
- Yesenia Gonzalez and Chenyang Shen recently had a paper, Semi-Automatic Sigmoid Colon Segmentation in CT for Radiation Therapy Treatment Planning via an Iterative 2.5-D Deep Learning Approach, accepted for publication in Medical Image Analysis.
- Congratulations to Dr. Xun Jia who was recently awarded a grant from CPRIT! More details can be found here.
- Congratulations to Youfang Lai for successfully completing his comprehensive examination!
- Welcome to our newest postdoctoral researcher, Dr. Milad Mostavi!
- Yesenia Gonzalez was recently awarded an NIH F31 Fellowship. Congrats!
- Congratulations to Yesenia Gonzalez for receiving an academic excellence award from the UTSW Graduate School!
- Chenyang Shen recently published three papers in the journals of Medical Physics and IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics:
- Discriminative Transfer Learning for Driving Pattern Recognition in Unlabeled Scenes
- Development of a real-time indoor location system using bluetooth low energy technology and deep learning to facilitate clinical applications
- Operating a treatment planning system using deep-reinforcement learning-based virtual treatment planner for prostate cancer intensity-modulated radiation therapy treatment planning
- Welcome to our newest postdoctoral researcher, Dr. Dmytro Kuksenko!
- Congratulations to Youfang Lai, et al., for their work presented on the cover of this April's issue of Medical Physics! You can see the cover and paper published here.
- Dr. Xun Jia recently gave a talk at the AAPM Spring Clinical Meeting titled "Implementing AI with Modern TPS: Lessons and Inspirations". The recording of the presentation can be viewed here.
- Youfang Lai presented his research, "Microscopic Monte Carlo simulation for DNA damage calculations in the presence of Oxygen distribution and DNA structure", at the Young Investigator's Symposium at SWAAPM in Grapevine, TX.
- Dr. Xun Jia recently gave a talk at the University of Pennsylvania Department of Radiation Oncology, "Medical Physics in the Deep-Learning Era".
- Youfang Lai recently published two papers in Medical Physics: A new open-source GPU-based microscopic Monte Carlo simulation tool for the calculations of DNA damages caused by ionizing radiation -- Part I: Core algorithm and validation and A new open-source GPU-based microscopic Monte Carlo simulation tool for the calculations of DNA damages caused by ionizing radiation -- Part II: sensitivity and uncertainty analysis. Fantastic work!
- Great work to both Dr. Xun Jia and Chenyang Shen on their recent review publication, An introduction to deep learning in medical physics: advantages, potential, and challenges!
- Congratulations to Jace Grandinetti on passing his qualifying examination!
- Congratulations to Yesenia Gonzalez on receiving an F31 grant!
- Dr. Xun Jia presented an invited talk on "Artificial Intelligence and Radiation Therapy" at the annual Radiation Research Society in San Diego. Great job!
- Congratulations to Chenyang Shen for his contribution to A Manifold Learning Regularization Approach to Enhance 3D CT Image-based Lung Nodule Classification, scheduled to appear in the International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery!
- Great work to Dr. Xun Jia who traveled to the University of Houston to give a talk to the Department of Physics!
- Congratulations to Chenyang Shen for his work in A method to reconstruct intra-fractional liver motion in rotational radiotherapy using linear fiducial markers, published in Physics in Medicine and Biology!
- Dr. Xun Jia recently traveled to Northern California to attend the regional AAPM Chapter Meeting.
- Congratulations to Chenyang Shen for his work in Adaptive Sample-Level Graph Combination for Partial Multiview Clustering, scheduled to appear in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing!
- Good job to Yesenia Gonzalez for presenting her research at two conferences — 2019 Annual Meetings for BMES and SACNAS!
- Dr. Xun Jia recently traveled to Tsinghua University to give a talk to the Department of Biomedical Engineering regarding the use of AI in medicine!
- Chenyang Shen went to the 2019 ASTRO Annual Meeting to present four research projects performed in our lab!
- Congratulations to Hyunuk Jung on his 2019 ASTRO Annual Meeting Travel Award!
- Welcome to our new postdoctoral researcher, Dr. Yanqi Huang!
- Congratulations to Hyunuk Jung, et al. for their publication in Physics in Medicine and Biology, Deep-Learning Assisted Automatic Digitization of Interstitial Needles in 3D CT Image Based High Dose-Rate Brachytherapy of Gynecological Cancer!
- Congratulations to Chenyang Shen for contributions to Comparison of three undersampling approaches in computed tomography reconstruction, recently published in Quantitative Imaging in Medicine and Surgery!
- Great work on presentations for the 2019 AAPM Annual Meeting! We have had over 8 oral presentations showing our hard work from the past year!
- Congratulations to Hyunuk Jung on the Best in Physics Award for his abstract — Deep-Learning Based Automatic Digitization of Interstitial Needles in High-Dose-Rate Brachytherapy.
- Congratulations to Min-Yu Tsai and Chenyang Shen for their abstracts, Evaluating Robustness of Deep Learning Based Lung Nodule Classification, and Operating a Treatment Planning System Using a Deep-Reinforcement-Learning Based Virtual Treatment Planner for Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy Treatment Planning! They were 2 out of 12 individuals selected from the entire conference to present and receive an award for their work at the Science Council Session at the 2019 AAPM Annual Meeting.
- Congratulations to Chenyang Shen for his contributions to A machine-learning-based prediction model of fistula formation after interstitial brachytherapy for locally advanced gynecological malignancies, recently published in Brachytherapy!
- Welcome to our new postdoctoral researcher, Dr. Chao Wang!
- Great work everyone on presentations at ICCR 2019 Meeting! We had over 5 oral presentations showcasing our work!
- Congratulations to Chenyang Shen for receiving the 2019 Best Paper Award from the North America Chinese Medical Physics Association for his paper: Intelligent Parameter Tuning in Optimization-Based Iterative CT Reconstruction via Deep Reinforcement Learning.
- Drs. Kevin Albuquerque and Xun Jia presented at a GYN Workshop: Contouring Treatment Planning of the American Brachytherapy Society Annual Meeting.
- Congratulations to Chenyang Shen for receiving the Basic/Translational Science Award in the Junior Investigator, Physics category of ASTRO 2019 for his work on Automatic Treatment Planning in a Human-Like Manner: Operating Treatment Planning System by a Deep Reinforcement Learning Based Virtual Treatment Planner. He will present his work and receive the award at the upcoming ASTRO meeting in October.
- Congratulations to Chenyang Shen, et al. for the recent publication in Physics in Medicine and Biology, Intelligent Inverse Treatment Planning via Deep Reinforcement Learning, a Proof-of-Principle Study in High Dose-rate Brachytherapy for Cervical Cancer!
- Welcome to our new research scientist, Dr. Yuncheng Zhong!
- Congratulations to Chenyang Shen for his work in Automatic PET cervical tumor segmentation by combining deep learning and anatomic prior, recently published in Physics in Medicine and Biology!
- Welcome to our new Ph.D. graduate student, Jace Grandinetti!