If you are not eligible for leave for the birth of a child under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), you may be eligible for leave under State Parental Leave.
State Parental Leave provides:
- Up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for the birth or adoption of a child.
- Up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave in cases of foster care placement of children under 3 years of age. (Parental Leave begins on the day of the natural child’s birth; in the case of adoption or foster care, Parental Leave begins on the date the child is placed with the parent.)
- You have been employed at UT Southwestern fewer than 12 months or have worked fewer than 1,250 hours during the 12-month period preceding the beginning of Parental Leave.
- You must have been appointed to a position for at least four and one-half (4½) months at 50% time.
Note for Students: If you are required to be a student as a condition of your employment, you are not eligible for Parental Leave.
How to Apply
Complete and submit a Parental Leave Request Form (link requires VPN). Your supervisor may submit a request form on your behalf if you are incapacitated or unavailable for at least three (3) consecutive days.
Provide ONE written notification such as:
- Doctor’s statement on letterhead including the estimated/actual delivery date
- Verification of birth facts
- The child’s Birth Certificate
Questions about leave?