UT Southwestern Medical Center complies with the requirements of the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (“USERRA”), as well as state law and UT System policy.
Required Action for the Employee
If you are called for less than 30 days of military duty or training, you must:
- Complete the Military Leave Request Form (link requires VPN) and submit it with copies of your military orders and/or training schedule to your supervisor.
If you are called for 30 days or more of military duty, you must:
- Complete the Military Leave Request Form and submit it with copies of your military orders and/or training schedule to your supervisor.
- Advise the department whether you want to continue in a paid status using your applicable paid leave accruals or continue in a non-paid status if paid military leave is exhausted.
- If your leave is for a national emergency, LeaveAdministration@UTSouthwestern.edu a copy of your Leave and Earnings Statement to Leave Administration for consideration of pay differential, if applicable.
- Prior to departure, Benefits@UTSouthwestern.edu the Benefits Department to review insurance coverage.
- Provide your return-to-work date to your department and Leave Administration within the time limits established by law for reemployment.
Provide documentation establishing the length and character of your service (e.g., DD-214), that includes evidence of a discharge under honorable conditions, upon return from leave.
Required Action for Supervisors of Employees Taking Military Leave
- Complete the department section of the Military Leave Request Form (link requires VPN) with the department or lead administrator and fax it with a copy of the military orders and/or training schedule to Leave Administration at 214-648-9819.
- If the employee is unavailable to complete the Military Leave Request Form (link requires VPN), the supervisor should complete it on the employee’s behalf, noting “unavailable to sign.”
- Enter Military LV in Kronos for regularly scheduled workdays only, not to exceed the balance of accumulated paid military leave as reported by Leave Administration.
- If the employee elects to use vacation leave following depletion of paid military leave, enter the employee’s vacation leave accruals in Kronos, along with the Unpaid Milit Lv – tracking only code.
- If the employee does not elect to use vacation leave and/or no paid leave is available, HRISServiceCenter@UTSouthwestern.edu and request to have the employee placed in a leave-of-absence, non-paid status as of the first full day following the depletion of paid military leave.
- Continue entering the Unpaid Milit Lv – tracking only code for the duration of the leave in leave-of-absence, non-paid status.
- HRISServiceCenter@UTSouthwestern.edu on the actual date of the employee’s return from active duty to have the employee placed in an active payroll status. Additionally, Email notification of the employee’s return-to-work date to Leave Administration.
Questions about leave?