Master of Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling
About the Program
UT Southwestern’s Master of Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling Program provides world-class training in a field that transforms the lives of people with disabilities.
It’s a full-time, post-baccalaureate program that begins once a year in August and takes two years to complete. We admit as many as 15 students a year.
UT Southwestern Difference
As you review potential rehabilitation counseling or clinical mental health counseling programs, keep these UT Southwestern advantages in mind:
- Our program combines outstanding academic training with exceptional clinical experience for a comprehensive, well-rounded education.
- Our program meets the academic and clinical experience requirements to prepare you for national certification as a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC).
- Our program meets the academic and clinical experience requirements for application for licensure as an LPC or LPA in Texas.
- Our tuition and fee rates are among the most competitive in the country.
- Our program-sponsored practicum and internship sites eliminate the need for students to locate clinical placements on their own.
- Smaller class sizes mean students receive highly individualized attention from program faculty.
- Our students are exposed to advanced clinical training opportunities through direct clinical contact with a highly diverse patient/client population.
In addition, we operate the University Rehabilitation Service, a rehabilitation-focused assessment and counseling clinic that provides a range of diagnostic and treatment services for persons with physical, cognitive, developmental, and emotional disabilities.
We also operate two outpatient neuropsychology services that provide assessment and evaluation of adults, children, and adolescents with brain injury, developmental, and other dysfunction.
The mission of the Master’s Program in Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling is to provide our students with the highest quality of training in the relevant concepts and skills needed in vocational and adjustment counseling for people with disabilities and chronic illness. We also want to provide program graduates with the academic and clinical experiences necessary for national certification as a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) and state licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and/or Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA).
In order to fulfill the mission of the Master’s Program in Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling, we aim to:
- Offer academic content and clinical practicum and internship experiences that will meet or exceed standards necessary for obtaining relevant accreditation, certification, and licensure
- Ensure that all program graduates have demonstrated mastery of core academic content
- Ensure that all program graduates have demonstrated essential skills in clinical rehabilitation counseling, psychological assessment, and vocational planning
- Ensure that program graduates have demonstrated knowledge of the professional identities expected of a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor, Licensed Professional Counselor, and Licensed Psychological Associate.
We’re affiliated with the top hospitals in Dallas, also ranked among the best in the nation:
- William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital
- Zale Lipshy Pavilion – William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital
- Parkland Health & Hospital System
- Completion Rate of Students (2017): 100%
- Employment rate of 2017 graduates within the first six months following graduation (for those pursuing employment): 100%
- Passing rates on the Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) Examination (2017-2018): 100%
- Passing rates on National Counselor Examination (NCE) for licensure by program graduates (2017): 100%
UT Southwestern’s Master of Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling Program has earned full accreditation as a Rehabilitation Counselor Education program from the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
1001 North Fairfax Street, Suite 510
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: (703) 535-5990
Certifications and Licensure
The Master of Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling Program meets specific academic coursework and practicum/internship requirements for the following certification and licensure boards:
- Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) as a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC)
- Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists as a Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA)