Rotations for Visiting Students
Thank you for your interest in a fourth-year pediatric elective experience at UT Southwestern/Children’s Medical Center Dallas. Below is an overview of the types of electives we currently offer and the processes to be followed by domestic and international medical students to aid in your decision.
Pediatric Elective Course Offering
Course availability for blocks cannot be verified due to enrollment variance throughout the academic year.
Course Listings (Note: Inpatient rotations are highly competitive and 1900 courses (in red) are UTSW student required courses and so tend to fill enrollment quickly. Therefore, choosing alternative courses is highly suggested for both domestic and international students.)
- PED 1901 – Emergency Medicine
- PED 1902 – Neonatal ICU
- PED 1903 – Pediatric Acute ICU
- PED 1904 – Sub -I
- PED 1905 – Cardiac Critical Care ICU
- PED 2102 – Hematology & Oncology
- PED 2103 – Cardiology
- PED 2104 – Nephrology
- PED 2105 – Endocrinology
- PED 2106 – Gastroenterology
- PED 2107 – Rheumatology
- PED 2112 – Allergy and Immunology
- PED 2114 – Genetics & Metabolism
- PED 2118 – At-Risk Children
- PED 2120 – Infectious Diseases
Please review the FAQs to answer any questions you may have regarding your application.
- Domestic medical students will use the VSLO website to upload all required documents. List of required documents.
- International medical students will email Anthony.Lee@utsouthwestern.edu to request an application packet.
- Both domestic and international students will complete the 2019-20 Questionnaire. (All applications will be considered incomplete until questionnaire is completed.)
Application Timeline of Events
|April 1, 2019||Ongoing||International medical students can start submission of application for elective rotation.|
|April 1, 2019||Ongoing||Elective Registration for UTSW medical students opens and VSLO opens for domestic visiting students.|
|April 15, 2019||~2 weeks||Administrative Review begins for submitted VSLO and international medical student applicants.|
|May 1, 2019||~2 weeks||Program director begins reviewing of VSLO Domestic medical student applicants.|
|May 15, 2019||~2 weeks||Program director begins reviewing of international medical student applicants.|
|June 1, 2019
March 1, 2020
Once all submitted complete applications are reviewed, the below processes start:
Applicants will be notified via email to confirm elective selection.
|March 15, 2020||2 weeks||Application information for 2020-2021 academic year will be posted and updated on website.|
|March 22, 2020||N/A||Application submission closes.|
- Dates for blocks are inflexible. Make sure the dates of your rotation align with UT Southwestern's block schedule.
- All requirements for domestic applications are needed. No requirements are waived.
- Any application not meeting or missing any requirements will automatically be deemed incomplete and will not be reviewed.
- VSLO applications will immediately be denied on VSLO site.