The McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development at UT Southwestern is continuously searching for exceptional individuals to become part of our team.
Biostatistical Consultant / Statistician
Research and Laboratory
UT Southwestern Medical Center
Job # 499459
The Biostatistical Consultant/Statistician will work closely with a Biostatistics faculty member and provide statistical support for ongoing research studies in the area of genetic epidemiology and genetics of complex disease, including chronic liver disease and cardiometabolic disorders. Duties will include: design and analysis of research studies; evaluation and maintenance of data quality and integrity; analysis of genome‐wide genotypingdata; preparation of reports, manuscripts, abstracts and research proposals.
- Collaborates with investigators to identify problems and provide statistical consultation including design of experiments and clinical studies; analysis of data; interpretation of results and preparation of reports.
- Researches statistical methodology to identify optimal methods for analysis.
- Carries out appropriate statistical analyses as required.
- Assists in data organization and quality control.
- Performs statistical computations; learns new computational methods/tools as needed.
- Provides graphical and tabular representations of the data.
- Develops, maintains and modifies programs for in‐house use.
- Assists in preparation of research papers and manuscripts for publication and presentation and grant applications. Prepares statistical analysis sections for research papers and manuscripts.
- Collaborates with investigators in grant development including statistical design of studies, power and sample size estimation, and preparation of statistical portion of grant proposal.
- Performs non‐statistical components of consulting such as providing analogous examples and explanations using non‐technical terminology, and helping researchers formulate and clarify research issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in Statistics, Biostatistics or a related field. Minimum one (1) year experience in statistical consulting with preference given to experience working in biomedical or health care environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Proficiency in R or another major statistical package (S+, SAS, Stata, etc.)
- Experience working in UNIX/Linux environment.
- Solid knowledge of statistical methods and experience in data analysis.
- Knowledge of Python or another programming language is a plus.
- Experience or interest in statistical genetic analysis / genetic epidemiology is highly desirable.
- Strong attention to detail and solid analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to work independently and communicate effectively with academic and medical faculty.
- Work requires excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Work requires ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Work requires minimal physical exertion.
WORKING CONDITIONS ‐ Work is performed primarily in general office area. This position is security‐sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of Texas Education Code §51.512
Adult Genetics Clinic
UT Southwestern Medical Center
Job # 525544
Candidate will work in an interdisciplinary clinical setting and participate in cutting edge translational research; provide genetic counseling for adult patients in a clinical diagnostic setting, as well as screen, consent, recruit, and gather patient/family data for research and follow-up. In partnership with two M.D. geneticists, you will have the opportunity to provide genetic counseling for individuals with, or at risk for, Huntington’s disease, cardiac conditions, neurogenetic conditions, connective tissue disorders, and many other genetic diseases often first noted in adulthood.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex, including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.