General Residency Information
Parkland Health & Hospital System, UT Southwestern Medical Center, and the Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center are three separate entities that have separate requirements (County vs. State vs. Federal). As such, please make careful note of which information is required by each office to ensure you have submitted all the necessary paperwork. There will be several instances in which the documentation required by Parkland and UT Southwestern are the same (USMLE Scores, ACLS cards, etc.) but sometimes they will be different. We suggest keeping a careful checklist for each institution. Please feel free to contact our onboarding coordinator, Kimberly King, if there is any confusion; we are here to help.
- Occupational Health (OH) to-do items (e.g. drug screening, TB testing, etc.) will need to be completed before you can begin rotations on July 1st. All OH to-do items will be handled for ALL new interns on the first day of Orientation, June 17. (Note: those who live locally and want to take care of their OH to-do items BEFORE Orientation week, can call OH directly and set up an appt. in the month of May). Regardless of when you are doing your OH to-do items, the first step is to upload current immunization records and complete the ‘ReadySet questionnaire’ prior to June 17. More details on how to do all that will be forwarded to all incoming interns in the near future – in the meantime, get copies of immunization records ready.
- You will be paid effective June 17, 2021, and receive your first paycheck on July 6, 2021. You will have access to PeopleSoft to sign-up for required direct deposit on June 17. Please note that direct deposit may take up to two pay periods before it becomes effective; therefore, a paper check will be mailed to you. Do not forget to list a PERMANENT address when you send in your info (if you do not have a permanent address, you can list your parents, sibling, or someone you trust to receive and keep your paychecks for you). Payday is every other Tuesday.
- You will require 3 separate ID badges as a resident at UT Southwestern:
- Parkland Hospital ID Badge and UTSW ID Badge – Pictures for your Parkland Badge and your UTSW ID Badge will be taken during IM Orientation week.
- VA Hospital Badge – (known as a PIV Card) – More details as to when you will get your VA PIV Card will be sent to you personally by the VA Onboarding coordinator, Lynne Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Note: You will need to provide two original forms of government-issued proof of identification cards such as a driver’s license, birth certificate, SSN or passport. In addition, your name must be listed EXACTLY the same on both forms of ID (For example: John J. Doe on both is good; John James Doe on one and John J. Doe on another will not be acceptable. Names must be the same on both IDs). Your badges will carry your legal name as shown on your official government ID - no nicknames allowed.
The Orientation Planning Committee, comprised of the GME offices from each training institution, have been working together since last fall to thoughtfully compile the relevant topics and identify the individuals most appropriate to develop content and deliver these important messages
Such topics include Clinical Documentation, Quality Improvement and Patient Safety, Pharmacy, Campus Safety, Infection Control, Information Security, Regulatory Compliance, Nursing, and break-out sessions, which will encompass the discussion of payroll and benefits, in addition to the introduction of simulation training. Trainees will also receive a brief history and the mission/visions of each hospital, delivered by each hospital’s respective Chief Medical Officer.
Internal Medicine will host department specific orientation activities during the week of June 17-30. During this time, you will be able to meet Residency Program leadership, education staff, chief residents, and upper-level residents. Topics will include Adventures in Cross Cover, Quality of Care, Research Opportunities, and Scheduling. Please plan to attend all activities – a detailed itinerary will be emailed to you in May. Make sure to plan to move to the Dallas area at least one week prior to the official start date of June 17.