Diversity and Inclusion
UT Southwestern strives to be a model of diversity and inclusion. We reflect the many cultures and perspectives that enable us to reach our full potential while using our individuality to deliver excellence in health care, education, and research.
The Department of Dermatology at UT Southwestern is equally committed to efforts promoting diversity and inclusion to enhance the quality of our educational programs, research, and patient care through new and ongoing initiatives
- Dr. Rebecca Vasquez (Chair)
- Dr. Jennifer Gill
- Dr. Donald Glass II
- Dr. Tamia Harris-Tryon
- Resident education in skin of color
- DEI topics incorporated into Grand Rounds and Journal Club
- Skin of Color Program - Coming soon!
- Annual MLK Visiting Professor – starting January 2023!
- Agape Dermatology Clinic
- Annual Binational Health Fair
Programs for Current and Future Medical Students
- Skin of Color Clerkship
- Visiting Medical Student Rotation Scholarship - Coming soon!
- Future Doctor Pathway Program
- Mentorship and career guidance from any of our attendings, and specifically those in our department with a particular focus in diversity and inclusion
- Periodic lectures and events with SNMA (Student National Medical Association) and LMSA (Latino Medical Student Association)
Diversity Champion Highlights
Participation in the:
- AAD Diversity Mentorship Program
- AAD Diversity Champion Workshop
- Nth Dimensions Summer Internship
- Women's Dermatologic Society Mentorship Program
Research highlights (Gender, LGBTQ, Skin of Color, Health Disparities, Workforce diversity, etc.)
Carr CL, Rivera S, Jetelina KK, Mauskar M. Healthcare worker knowledge and opinion regarding intimate partner violence screening in an academic dermatology clinic: a survey study. Int J Womens Dermatol. 2022 Aug 1;8(3):e025. PMID: 35928551; PMCID: PMC9345635.
Skin of Color
Leung B, Lindley L, Reisch J, Glass DA 2nd, Ayoade K. Comorbidities in patients with central centrifugal cicatricial alopecia: A retrospective chart review of 53 patients. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2022 Jun 15:S0190-9622(22)00998-7. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35716835.
Limmer EE, Kerby E, Lies S, Limmer B, Limmer R, Teske N, Savory S, Reisch JS, Glass DA 2nd. The Keloid Area and Severity Index (KASI): an objective tool for the evaluation of keloids. Br J Dermatol. 2022 Nov;187(5):799-800. PMID: 35700059.