Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to the Clinical Psychology Program?

All applications must be submitted electronically through the Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology homepage by clicking the "Apply Now" tab. Access to the online application is available starting September 1 of each year. Additional application materials (i.e., official transcripts) should be mailed to the UT Southwestern Medical Center, Admissions Office, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75390-9162.

What is the deadline for completion of materials?

The deadline for each academic year is December 1. Only complete applications will be considered for the following fall term.

Is there a specific form that the individuals who write my recommendation letters need to complete?

Yes. It will be sent electronically to those individuals who are writing your letters.

What is the GRE code to submit my scores?

The Psychology subject test code is 93; however, the subject test is not required.

Can coursework completed in a Master’s degree program be counted toward the doctoral degree at UT Southwestern?

No, but it is possible to request permission to substitute another course, or research or internship activity, for a course already taken.

Do you offer a Master’s degree program?

The Doctoral Program does not offer a master’s degree en route to the Ph.D.

What are the minimum GRE/GPA requirements?

Please refer to Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data (PDF) for average GRE/GPA scores for incoming students.

If I am selected for an interview, when will it be?

Interview day is typically scheduled the last Saturday in February each admission year.

How long does it take to complete the program?

The Clinical Psychology Graduate Program is designed as a four-year course of study, and includes an integrated two-year, half-time internship. The average length of time from entry to graduation is approximately 4.5 years.

May I take courses without being a full-time student?

No. All doctoral students in the Clinical Psychology Graduate Program must be full-time.

Does your program provide funding for the students?

The Clinical Psychology Graduate Program provides financial support in the form of a stipend beginning in the second year. There is no guarantee of funding from year to year, but the Graduate Program has been consistently able to provide stipends since its inception.

Do you have a financial aid program?

Information about loan funds and other financial aid can be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid. You may call 214-648-3611 for application material or write to 5323 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75390-9064. Students are also encouraged to pursue opportunities for training funds from outside organizations.