The Biostatistics team within the Department of Population and Data Sciences provides professional consulting and programming in statistical analysis and database management on a fee basis, as well as instruction in the use of statistical software for the faculty, staff, and students at UT Southwestern and affiliated institutions. Assistance is available to investigators (one hour at no change) preparing proposals for IRB or IACUC review.
We provide expertise for design and analysis of simple and complex research studies, including:
- Selecting an appropriate design
- Determining and justifying a sample size
- Formulating hypotheses
- Selecting appropriate statistical analysis techniques
- Creating presentation graphics
- Assisting in preparation of grant proposals
- Preparing manuscripts for publication
We work on a wide variety of data management projects, including:
- Determining the best data management approach for a project
- Selecting an appropriate computer platform
- Designing a database
- Creating custom programs for data entry
- Developing reporting procedures
- Retrieving information for subsequent statistical analysis
Biostatistics offers a number of short courses on statistical and computing topics to meet campus educational and research needs. Faculty members also offer credit courses in biostatistics and data management for the UT Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and jointly maintains a PC classroom in conjunction with Information Resources and the Health Sciences Digital Library and Learning Center.
We design professional websites to support research tasks, including web-based data access, interactive web forms, and other programmable web tasks.