Diversity & Inclusion at UT Southwestern
Diversity is the full range of human differences, including, but not limited to, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, veteran status, age, and generational compositions. Diversity also embraces cultural, political, social class, or religious affiliations, as well as individual differences such as personality, learning style, and life experiences.
Inclusion promotes and sustains a sense of belonging; it values and practices respect for the talents, beliefs, and backgrounds of the entire university community through intentional and ongoing engagement that allows individuals to connect in ways that raise awareness, knowledge, and empathic understanding, such as personality, learning style, and life experiences.
Workforce Representation at UT Southwestern
We invite you to learn more about UT Southwestern Careers.
Diversity in Action
Impact on the Community
UT Southwestern sends over 75 volunteers to participate in the Binational Health Fair, an event hosted by the Consulate of Mexico that raises awareness about healthy lifestyles and provides educational activities, workshops, insurance referrals, flu vaccinations, and medical screenings.More Info Binational Health Fair
A UT Southwestern program since 1991, the STARS (Science Teacher Access to Resources at Southwestern) program has grown to provide educational resources to more than 14,000 teachers and in estimated 65,000 students in 3,500 schools in Dallas/Fort Worth and surrounding areas.More Info STARS Summer Research Program
Signature events throughout the year
For five consecutive years, UT Southwestern hosted the Greater Dallas Health Care Diversity Summit.More Info Greater Dallas Health Care Diversity Summit
Taking Action Against Racial Injustices
An Inclusive Path Forward
A Fireside Chat with Chief Lewis
2020 Diversity & Inclusion Annual Report
President’s Council on Institutional Opportunity
The Council was formed in 2016 to engage faculty, staff and the student body through education and training to ensure that they develop the cultural awareness competency required to effectively serve the mission of UT Southwestern.
Business Resource Groups
The vision of our voluntary, employee-led Business Resource Groups at UT Southwestern is to embrace a diverse culture of care, trust, integrity, and inclusion.
Institutional Diversity Awards
- Corporate Citizen Award – LaunchAbility
- Celebration of Diversity Award Finalist – Ernst & Young and the Dallas Arboretum
- Top 10 Best Organizations for Leadership Development Award – National Center for Healthcare Leadership
- Best Places to Work – Dallas Business Journal
- Best Places to Work Postdocs – The Scientist
- Lex Frieden Employment Award – Texas Governor's Committee on People with Disabilities
- Mother-Friendly Worksite – Texas Department of State Health Services
- Start! Fit Friendly Worksite Award – American Heart Association
- Employer of the Year – Association for Independent Living
- A top healthcare company Black EOE Journal (May 2020)
- A top healthcare company HISPANIC Network Magazine (August 2020)
- A top LGBTQ+-friendly company Black EOE Journal (July 2020)
- A top LGBTQ+-friendly company HISPANIC Network Magazine (August 2020)
- A top LGBTQ+-friendly company by Professional Woman’s Magazine (September 2020)
- A top veteran-friendly company by U.S. Veterans Magazine (August 2020)