Our Mission & Legacy
UT Southwestern Medical Center’s roots began with the creation of Southwestern Medical College in 1943 by civic and business leaders. This civic foundation inspires our work today in the community as health care leaders, educators, researchers, and care providers.
UT Southwestern is committed to promoting health and a healthy society that enables the achievement of full human potential. Our collective work is guided by this mission across the three institutional pillars of an academic medical center – education, discovery, and healing.
UT Southwestern students receive a world-class education – trained by the best in their fields – to meet the state’s health care needs with a focus on North Texas. Our faculty are renowned experts in the specialties they teach to students in our three graduate schools – UT Southwestern Medical School, UT Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, and UT Southwestern School of Health Professions. Our students are very community-minded, and volunteer through more than 20 programs directed through the Student Affairs office.
UT Southwestern has an exceptional international reputation for transformational research that has resulted in some of the most impactful discoveries in modern health care. Likewise, our ongoing collaborative research on campus and with community partners contributes to improvements in patient care, patient engagement, and clinical outcomes.
We strive for excellence as medical and scientific leaders, working within the community to quickly translate our research findings from bench to bedside into new clinical treatments and protocols. With William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital, Zale Lipshy Pavilion, and an expanding network of clinic locations, UT Southwestern physicians provide care in 80 specialties to more than 105,000 hospitalized patients and nearly 370,000 emergency room cases. Additionally, we deliver quality care for more than 3 million outpatient visits annually.