Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA)
Sponsored Programs Administration provides service to facilitate the advancement of UT Southwestern’s research and sponsored activities, while ensuring the integrity of the institution’s research enterprise through proper stewardship of extramural funding.
The Sponsored Programs Administration staff works closely with faculty members and their research staff to:
- Identify opportunities for research funding.
- Review and assist in the preparation of proposals.
- Negotiate terms and conditions of awards with sponsors.
- Protect the University and its researchers in the areas of intellectual freedom and ownership of intellectual property.
- Identify and resolve issues that arise throughout the lifecycle of the award.
- Ensure accurate and compliant accounting of income and expenditures on sponsored project accounts.
- Complete and submit financial reporting required by sponsors.
- Complete, submit, and collect on periodic invoices.
- Manage cash receipts, including letter of credits and sponsored accounts receivable.
- Assist with account reconciliation and closeout.
Sponsored Programs Research Lifecycle
Sponsored Programs Administration has adopted a lifecycle management approach to research administration. This means that teams within our office are organized to manage proposals from the proposal stage of a project through to termination, or closeout, of an award.
This comprehensive approach helps the teams to better understand the entire cycle of an award in all of its stages, rather than only gaining familiarity with one phase.