In administering its equal employment policies and practices, UT Southwestern provides reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities.
Disability-related accommodations are designed to help employees perform the essential functions of their positions and help applicants and visitors gain access to UT Southwestern programs and opportunities. Our office collaborates with UT Southwestern departments to provide reasonable accommodations for faculty and staff, coordinates accessibility compliance functions, provides training and technical assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act, advances campus accessibility, and fosters an inclusive community.
Requesting Reasonable Accommodations Due to Disability
If you believe that you need a reasonable accommodation, initiate a request for an accommodation through the Office of Institutional Equity & Access. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis based on the nature and extent of the disability. It is a violation of University policy to fail to provide reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified individual with a disability.
An accommodation requested through this office will be evaluated quickly and objectively. The evaluation will determine whether the request will effectively help you perform the essential functions of your job and does not create an undue hardship for the University.
- Email us to request an accommodation
- Reasonable Accommodation Request Form
- ETH-152 Reasonable Accommodations for Qualified Applicants and Employees with Disabilities
Requesting a Religious Accommodation
UT Southwestern provides reasonable accommodations for employees’ and applicants’ sincerely held religious beliefs or practices unless doing so would cause more than a minimal burden on the operations of UT Southwestern. Employees and applicants may request a religious accommodation by submitting a request in writing to the Office of Institutional Equity & Access, setting forth their sincerely held religious beliefs or practice and identifying any requested adjustments to the work environment. The Office of Institutional Equity & Access will evaluate the request and will issue a written decision to the requestor.
Requesting a Service or Emotional Support Animal in Campus Housing
UT Southwestern provides reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities who are residents in campus housing. If you believe that you need a reasonable accommodation for a service or emotional support animal, please initiate a request through the Office of Institutional Equity & Access. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.
When requesting an accommodation, please submit documentation of your disability with specific recommendations from a qualified professional.
- Campus Housing Request for an Emotional Support Animal
- Campus Housing Request for a Service Animal
- Service Animals Policy
Student Learners with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable an individual to participate in UT Southwestern’s academic programs, services, or activities, unless doing so would cause undue hardship to the operations of UT Southwestern, cause an alteration or modification to a course or program to the extent it changes the fundamental nature of that course or program, or constitute a direct threat to the safety of the individual or others.
Barriers on Campus
UT Southwestern strives to prevent and remove barriers to access through maintenance and response to reported problems. Individuals who encounter a physical, electronic, or programmatic barrier on campus can assist the University in this effort by reporting the problem so the barrier can be removed as quickly as possible in order to maintain access for everyone. Examples of barriers include:
- Lack of an access ramp to a building
- Inoperative wheelchair lift
- Inaccessible website for the visual- or hearing-impaired
- Blocked access ramp or any other access barrier
- Campus Map
- Web Accessibility at UTSW
- ADA Frequently Asked Questions
- Interactive ADA Accommodation Process: What to Expect
- Ergonomics requests at UTSW (Link requires VPN)
- Information for nursing mothers at UTSW (Link requires VPN)
- Employee Assistance Program at UTSW (Link requires VPN)
- ADA Supervisor Resource Guide
- Reasonable ADA Accommodation Process Flow Chart
- Department of Labor: Disability Inclusion Starts with You (video)
- Job Accommodation Network (JAN) can help with questions about workplace accommodations or the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and related legislation.
- Searchable Online Accommodation Resource (SOAR) system is designed to let users explore various accommodation options for people with disabilities in work and educational settings.