Accessibility/Reasonable Accommodations

In administering its equal employment policies and practices, UT Southwestern provides reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Disability-related accommodations are designed to help employees perform the essential functions of their positions, and applicants & visitors gain access to UT Southwestern programs and opportunities. Our office collaborates with UT Southwestern departments to provide accommodations for faculty and staff, coordinates accessibility compliance functions, provides training and technical assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act, advances campus accessibility, and fosters an inclusive community.  

Requesting Reasonable Accommodations Due to Disability  

If you believe that you need a reasonable accommodation, initiate a request for an accommodation through the Office of Institutional Equity & Access. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis based on the nature and extent of the disability. It is a violation of University policy to fail to provide reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified individual with a disability.   

An accommodation requested through this office will be evaluated quickly and objectively. The evaluation will determine whether the request will effectively help you perform the essential functions of your job and does not create an undue hardship for the University. 

Requesting a Religious Accommodation

UT Southwestern will provide reasonable accommodations for the sincerely held religious beliefs or practices of employees and applicants for employment unless doing so would cause more than a minimal burden on the operations of UT Southwestern.

Employees may request a religious accommodation by submitting a request in writing to the Office of Institutional Equity & Access setting forth their sincerely held religious belief or practice and identifying any requested adjustments to the work environment. The Office of Institutional Equity & Access will evaluate the request and will issue a written decision to the requestor.

Requesting a Service or Emotional Support Animal in Campus Housing

UT Southwestern provides reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities who are residents in campus housing. If you believe that you need a reasonable accommodation for a service or emotional support animal, please initiate a request for an accommodation through the Office of Institutional Equity & Access. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.  

When requesting an accommodation, please submit documentation of your disability with specific recommendations from a qualified professional.  Please contact the Office of Institutional Equity & Access as soon as possible so that appropriate accommodations can be arranged.   

Animals in Buildings Policy

Service animals do live in Campus Housing with their master and are frequently seen around their housing unit. People on campus may not be aware that your service animal is working for you, so if you feel it is necessary, please let others know the dog is not a pet. Also, please be aware that there are policies for animals in certain buildings on campus. See the Service Animals Policy. If you have questions, please call the Office of Institutional Equity & Access at 214-648-4343.  

Student Learners with Disabilities

Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable an individual to participate in UT Southwestern’s academic programs, services, or activities, unless doing so would cause undue hardship to the operations of UT Southwestern, cause an alteration or modification to a course or program to the extent it changes the fundamental nature of that course or program or constitute a direct threat to the safety of the individual or others. 

Barriers on Campus  

UT Southwestern strives to prevent and remove barriers to access through maintenance and response to reported problems. Individuals who encounter a physical, electronic, or programmatic barrier on campus, such as an inoperative elevator or wheelchair lift, an inaccessible website, a blocked access ramp or any other access barrier, can assist the University in this effort by identifying the problem so the barrier can be removed as quickly as possible in order to maintain access for everyone.  

Report a Barrier

Training & Technical Assistance

Accessible Resources