The Office of Institutional Equity & Access’s Division of Equal Opportunity (EO) is UT Southwestern’s primary office responsible for
- Enforcing the University’s equal opportunity policies
- Facilitating the accommodation process for employees and applicants with disabilities
- Investigating complaints of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation
As a division, EO advances a diverse, equitable, and supportive campus culture through our commitment to fulfilling the spirit of equal opportunity laws and policies, as well as building awareness within the University community.
As you explore our website, you will find many resources that foster and support an environment on campus that is inclusive, respectful, and free from discrimination and harassment.
In accordance with ETH-151: Equal Opportunity, the Division of Equal Opportunity serves as a neutral and independent investigatory unit for addressing complaints of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation at UT Southwestern.
The Division of Equal Opportunity is available to assist the entire UT Southwestern community with concerns of discrimination.
Our Mission Statement
The Office of Institutional Equity & Access’ Division of Equal Opportunity advances a diverse, equitable, and supportive university culture through our commitment to fulfilling the spirit of equal opportunity laws and policies, as well as building awareness of UT Southwestern policies and recommended practices regarding equity and non-discrimination within the university community. To fulfill our mission, the Division of Equal Opportunity provides:
- A mechanism for responding to, investigating, and resolving complaints of discrimination, harassment (including sexual harassment), retaliation, and sexual misconduct
- Determination of eligibility and processing of reasonable accommodation requests for employees and applicants with disabilities
- Development of the institution’s Affirmative Action Plan in partnership with university leadership in order to provide proactive and inclusive best practices in support of the University community
- Education for hiring managers and search committees regarding effective best practices to facilitate inclusive recruitment processes and to minimize the impact of implicit bias
- Information, consultation, training, and resources for the University community with regard to diversity, harassment and discrimination prevention, retaliation, affirmative action, equal opportunity, and disability matters
- Oversight of and support for the University’s compliance efforts in the areas of equal opportunity, affirmative action, harassment and discrimination prevention, retaliation, and compliance with all applicable state and federal civil rights laws
- University liaison with external agencies including the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC), the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR), and the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) in the Department of Labor
The Office of Institutional Equity & Access accomplishes our mission through ongoing collaboration with UT Southwestern’s employees and stakeholders as we evaluate university practices, personnel decisions, training opportunities, and reporting practices to ensure that UT Southwestern provides fair and equitable treatment to all individuals, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.