The mission of the Biomedical Informatics Program is to promote the integration of biomedical informatics and computational biology into the UT Southwestern Medical Center clinical and translational research enterprise through the development of biomedical informatics research programs, software infrastructure, support services, and educational programs. Program faculty are focused on the development of data standards for database development and knowledge representation and the development and implementation of novel data mining tools and analysis resources.
Working closely with Academic Information Systems (AIS), Biomedical Informatics faculty are jointly developing the UT Southwestern Clinical Research Information System (utCRIS). utCRIS is designed to be a comprehensive suite of databases and software applications to support all aspects of clinical and translational research. The currently available components of utCRIS include:
- utCRIS-Research Wizard to navigate the policy and application requirements for human subjects and animal research. This is a web application for aiding the novice researcher in an easy to follow “Research Checklist.” Answer a few questions and Wizard will guide you in developing your research.
- Velos (Clinical Research Management System) for the tracking, management, and reporting of ongoing research studies involving human research participants (based on the Velos eResearch application)
- eIRB for the electronic submission of human research participant protocols for IRB approval (based on the Click Commerce eIRB application)
- i2b2 (CRDW-SF - Clinical Research Data Warehouse – Study Feasibility) for research participant cohort enumeration using UT Southwestern Electronic Medical Record (Epic EMR) information (based on the i2b2 data warehouse application)
- caTissue (TissueBank for identification and requesting of human tissue specimens for laboratory research
- REDCap offers easy to use and intuitive tool provides functionality and features to enable researchers rapidly to develop databases and surveys for collecting and managing research data.