T1 Research translates discoveries made at the bench to First in Human (FIH) studies. Typically these studies (case studies, phase 1 and 2 clinical trials) take place at the patient “bedside” in an academic medical center. The focus of these studies is to test basic science discoveries for clinical effect and applicability.
T1 Research can:
- Lead to the transfer of disease mechanisms identified in the laboratory into the development of new methods for diagnosis, therapy, and prevention in humans
- Facilitate defining health outcome and intended use
- Evaluate gene/environment/disease associations
- Describe biological mechanisms that link genes with disease processes
- Inform the design of clinical trials
- Establish analytic and clinical validity