Immune Activation and Myocardial Recovery in Peripartum Cardiomyopathy
The study will enroll 100 women with PPCM within 2 months post partum. They will have blood drawn for cellular analysis, complete blood count, DNA banking and genotyping, RNA analysis and banking and humoral immune mediators at entry, 2 months and 6 months postpartum. Assessment of left ventricular ejection fraction will be done by echocardiography at 2 months, 6 months and 12 months postpartum. The primary analysis will compare immune activation in the subset that recovers from the subset that does not recover.
1. Patients 16 years of age or older
2. Diagnosis of peripartum cardiomyopathy
3. Presentation for enrollment no earlier than four weeks pre-term and no later than 10 weeks post partum OR up to 12 weeks post partum with a written waiver from the coordinating center
4. LVEF ≤ 0.45 by echocardiogram. ( less than OR equal to) *
• A baseline echo for inclusion is defined by: 1) it must be the most recent test, 2) EF ≤ 0.45, 3) must be within 4 weeks of enrollment. A clinical echo can be used but if it must be repeated for research purposes we will compensate for the echo with prior notice/approval.