Use of the CA-125 Algorithm for the Early Detection of Ovarian Cancer in Low Risk Women
our trial will be a single arm trial to test the hypothesis that the RoC algorithm can estimate the risk of ovarian cancer with a specificity of 98% and the addition of the TVS further improves specificity. in addition, the feasibility of population screening for ovarian cancer in a low risk population will be assessed (assess compliance rates).
1. Females between 50 and 75 years old
2. Post-menopausal for more than one year
3. Have at least one ovary
4. Do not have a diagnosis of cancer and have not received any chemotherapy or radiation
for greater than 12 months prior to enrolling
5. Are capable and willing to return to UT Southwestern for a CA 125 blood test yearly or
earlier if indicated
6. Are capable and willing to return to UT Southwestern for a transvaginal ultrasound if indicated.
The indication would be an increase in the CA 125 to the level of elevated risk prompting
evaluation with an ultrasound.
7. Women will need a gynecologist for follow-up if indicated.