Icariin to Prevent Corticosteroid-related Memory Changes
The study will be a pharmakinetic and safety/tolerability study for 20% icariin horny goat weed. 4 dose levels will be studied: 100 mg icariin, 200 mg, 300 mg, and 400 mg QD for 5 days. Dosing will start at 100 mg for the first 6 participants. if the dose is deemed safe and well tolerated, the next higher dose will be administered to 6 new participants. The study will be a randomized, placebo-controlled trial.
Time to peak plasma concentration and halflife of icariin will be determined from the blood data. Safety and tolerability, including mood symptoms, will be assesed as well.
* Healthy men and women age 18-50 years
* Education of >= 12 years and baseline RAVLT total words recalled score >= 35 (normal baseline memory)
* BMI between 18.5-30 (not underweight or obese)
* No medication changes within 30 days of baseline visit
* The ability to read and speak English.