A Double Blind, Randomized, Sham-Controlled Evaluation of Low-Level (Class IV) Therapeutic Laser Therapy on Plantar Fasciitis
This will be a double blind, sham-controlled trial. Both groups will receive a standarized physical therapy intervention in 6 visits over 4 weeks which will include:
1. Gastrocnemius and soleus stretching and intrinsic plantar fascia stretching
2. Ice massge
3. Usual medical advice: tennis ball rolling, shoe wear recommendations
4. Therapeutic exercise home exercise program: foot intrinsic strengthening, medial and lateral sweeps, resisted range of motion exercise
5. Taping and/or other the over-the-counter orthotic recommendation
Both groups will get a total of 10 laser treatments in a 4 week period in addition to the physical therapy intervention. The control group would receive sham laser treatments in addition to the physical therapy intervention.
Outcome Measures: Subjective report of pain, first step in the morning pain, Global Rating of Change Scale, Foot and Ankle Abilities functional outcome tool measure. These variables will be assesed at baseline, 4 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months, and one year.
1.)18-70 years old
2.) maximal point tenderness to palpation is at medial calcaneal tuberosity
3. ) increased pain with weight bearing after more than 30 minutes on non-weight bearing or with simultaneous passive dorsiflexion of toe and ankle