Lung Specimen Banking Program
We aim to collect 150 specimens over the next 3 years from subjects already undergoing a surgery procedure at UT Southwestern Medical Center or one of its affiliated facilities: Parkland Memorial Hospital, Children[Right Quote]s Medical Center, St. Paul Medical Center, and Zale Lipshy University Hospital.
Several sources of tissue that would otherwise be discarded will be obtained:
(1) From discarded lungs of lung transplant recipients
(2) From discarded portions of donors for lung transplant (example ? upper trachea)
(3) From portions of lung resected for presumable cancer (to obtain surrounding normal tissue)
(4) From brochoalveolar lavage fluid that is obtained for a clinically necessary bronchoscopy procedure that is excess and would otherwise be discarded
(5) From excess sputum samples already being collected from CF or lung transplant recipients
Patients or family (in the case of a donor) that consent to this study will have their diseased lung tissue or fluid collected after their surgery, or during a clinical procedure, by a member of the research team and this will be studied in the lab. This study involves using what is called [Double Quote]medical waste[Double Quote], which is leftover tissue, cells or fluid that are not needed for any other medical purpose related to the subject and would otherwise be discarded. Patients will also consent for their medical records to be accessed at UTSW or any of its affiliated facilities. This will allow us to obtain information about each subject[Right Quote]s demographics, medical history and treatment to correlate with scientific findings.
* Patients undergoing chest surgery as a lung transplant recipient, lung transplant donor, tumor resection candidate, or subjects undergoing bronchoscopy
* Eighteen years of age or older
* Ability to give informed consent
* Ability to read and write in English