Talk and walk to prevent post-holiday bulge
As the holiday season winds down, finding the perfect 2009 calendar isn’t our only challenge. We also need to keep our waistlines in check.
Dr. Linda Michalsky, assistant professor of clinical nutrition at UT Southwestern Medical Center, offers tips to help keep in shape during and after the holidays. These include:
- Move! Gather your friends and relatives for a talk-as-you-walk after the meal and circle the table two or three times before getting seconds or dessert.
- Limit portions to half or less than half what you would normally take for everything but your favorite dish.
- Wait 15 to 20 minutes before going back for seconds or dessert. Limit both. If you cut a piece of pie or cake in half, someone will grab the other half immediately.
- Use smaller plates. If you only have large plates, leave some room so that part of the plate is visible.
- Drink water between other beverages.
- Choose a seat away from the food tables.
- Bring low-calorie foods you like.
Visit http://www.utsouthwestern.org/nutrition to learn more about
UT Southwestern’s clinical services in nutrition.
Media Contact: Kristen Holland Shear