Hundreds of people in America die every year from carbon monoxide produced by fuel-burning appliances in and around the home.
“Most cases result from using poorly installed gas appliances, running gasoline-powered engines in garages, using gas-burning stoves to heat homes, or cooking with charcoal inside homes,” says Dr. Kurt Kleinschmidt, an emergency medicine and toxicology physician at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas without color or odor, is produced by the incomplete burning of fuels including charcoal, wood, oil and gas. In the winter months, these fuels often power indoor furnaces, ranges, water heaters, room heaters and vehicles. Unfortunately, the initial symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are like many common illnesses with symptoms that include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness.
Tips to avoid exposure include:
Dr. Kleinschmidt also strongly recommends installing carbon monoxide detectors for added protection. If you think you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, get fresh air immediately, call the fire department and seek medical care.
Media Contact: Connie Piloto
To automatically receive news releases from UT Southwestern via e-mail, subscribe at www.utsouthwestern.edu/receivenews