Talk and walk to ward off seasonal pounds
With the holidays upon us, watching our spending isn’t our only challenge. We also need to keep our waistlines in check.
Dr. Linda Michalsky, assistant professor of clinical nutrition at UT Southwestern Medical Center, offers tips to help keep in shape both during and after the holidays.
- Move! Gather your friends and relatives for a talk-as-you-walk after the meal and circle the buffet table two or three times before getting seconds or dessert.
- Limit intake to half or less of normal portions except for your favorite dish.
- Wait 15 to 20 minutes before going back for seconds or dessert, and limit both. If you cut a piece of pie or cake in half, someone will grab the other half immediately.
- Use smaller plates. If you only have large plates, leave some room so that part of the plate is visible.
- Drink water between other beverages.
- Choose a seat away from the food tables.
- Bring low-calorie foods you like.
Visit http://www.utsouthwestern.org/nutrition to learn more about UT Southwestern’s clinical services in nutrition.
Media Contact: Kristen Holland Shear