As the mercury dips, some people turn to alternative sources to ward off the cold. Too often, these practices lead to accidental deaths and injuries.
“Ovens and stovetops should never be used for heating, and space heaters should be kept away from children, animals and flammable objects,” says Dr. Paul Pepe, chairman of emergency medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
People who have fireplaces should also check their chimney and flue for leaves and branches, and allow for ventilation and fresh air when using the devices. And if everyone in the house develops a headache at the same time, check for carbon monoxide right away, Dr. Pepe adds.
Visit http://www.utsouthwestern.org/emergency to learn more about UT Southwestern’s clinical services in emergency care.
Media Contact: Connie Piloto
To automatically receive news releases from UT Southwestern via e-mail, subscribe at http://www.utsouthwestern.org/receivenews