UTSW launches user-friendly website focused on patient care
By Kristen Holland Shear
UT Southwestern Medical Center launched its next-generation patient-care website, a new online look for existing and potential patients, their families, and referring physicians. Along with the face-lift comes a new address: utswmedicine.org.
The new website is designed to meet four key functional needs of patients who visit UT Southwestern online, said Dr. Bruce Meyer, Executive Vice President for Health System Affairs.
The website helps patients make an appointment, find a doctor, learn more about the conditions UTSW physicians treat, and find a location on campus. The site also includes Google-based location maps and an improved Google-based search feature.
“Our new site provides patients an attractive, modern, and easy-to-use portal to interact with UT Southwestern that will also help them discover the depth and quality of care we offer here,” Dr. Meyer said. “The site will continue to improve based on user traffic, feedback, and institutional needs.”
Features of the new patient-care site include:
- Online appointment request: Request an appointment with a UTSW physician.
- Online patient referral: Refer a patient to UTSW without picking up the phone.
- Find a doctor: Search any of UTSW’s more than 700 clinicians to find individual profile pages. Some physician profiles include a “Meet the Doctor” page and clinical interests.
- Conditions and specialties: Find almost 1,000 pages about the conditions treated by UTSW specialists.
- Hospitals and clinics: Find patient forms, maps, directions, hours of operation, and parking information for every hospital and clinic affiliated with UTSW.
- Instant search results: A dynamic Google-powered search engine features display-as-you-type results.
- Easy access to all UTSW web properties: A drop-down menu at the top of each page offers one-click access to all UTSW web properties.
The new patient-care site is the latest of several online enhancements that UTSW has made over the past year and a half. In 2011, UTSW launched a revamped education and training site (utsouthwestern.edu), an improved intranet site (utsouthwestern.net), and a new faculty lab site (utsouthwestern.edu/labs).
To offer comments about any of the sites, email firstname.lastname@example.org" title="Email UTSW Medicine.