Time Capsule — Sept. 27, 1943

The first Southwestern Medical College classes are held in prefabricated buildings near old Parkland Hospital on Oak Lawn. The school — with 17 full-time faculty, 19 staff members and 200 students — had 25,000 square feet of space in the former Army barracks. “The Shacks” were the school’s home until 1955’s opening of the E.H. Cary Building, and some departments used them until 1958.


Share: