About UT Southwestern
Part of The University of Texas System, UT Southwestern Medical Center is governed by the UT Board of Regents. President Dr. Daniel K. Podolsky leads the medical center which includes three degree-granting institutions: UT Southwestern Medical School, UT Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and UT Southwestern School of Health Professions. Together, these schools train more than 4,600 students, residents, and postdoctoral fellows each year.
As one of the foremost research facilities in the world, UT Southwestern is poised to lead the way in a new era of scientific discovery. Each year, we conduct more than 3,500 research projects totaling more than $418 million.
A great medical center also offers outstanding patient care in addition to fine teaching and innovative research. Our physicians provide inpatient care to nearly 100,000 people and oversee approximately 2 million outpatient visits annually at UT Southwestern University Hospitals, Parkland Health & Hospital System, Children's Medical Center Dallas, the VA North Texas Health Care System, and other affiliated hospitals and clinics.
UT Southwestern's achievements include:
- Five Nobel Prize winners, four of whom are active faculty members.
- Among the nation's best performers in biology and biochemistry basic science research in achieving clinical breakthroughs.
- An unsurpassed pediatric heart disease program in association with Children's Medical Center Dallas, including the first successful pediatric heart transplant in Dallas in 1988.
- An adult heart and lung transplant program with survivals in excess of 90 percent — ranking among the top 10 in the nation, year after year.
- Texas' first laparoscopic gastric-bypass surgery in 1999, with more than 2,000 weight-loss surgeries performed since.
- Survival rates after heart attacks that are almost twice as good as national and regional averages.
- Forty physicians and researchers elected as presidents of their national specialty associations.
- Three-fourths of Texas' medical members of the National Academy of Sciences, the most prestigious scientific society in America.
- More than 90 percent of all federal biomedical grants in Dallas and more than three-fourths of all those in North Texas.
6363 Forest Park Blvd., Suite BLA.100
Dallas, TX 75390-9060
Get news releases in your inbox